cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS IOS for 4500X release date?

Denny Trujillo
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know when Cisco plans to release the VSS enabled IOS for the 4500X?

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

According to Cisco, by the end of this or in the first quarter of next year

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I agree with Reza.  According to some Cisco people, end of this year or March 2013.

Just be aware that this is going to be a brand-new release.  A version "0".  With this comes the inherit risks of mother-of-all-bugs.  You won't see a "stable" version until the third or fourth version.

What I am driving at is this:  Test this properly before you stick it into production.

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Late December is the target release date.  I agree with the guys to test it first in the lab and then put it in the production. It will be L2 VSS only first and the later release will add L3 support. There will be a significant feature difference between VSS on Cat4500 vs Cat6500. Please work with your Cisco account SE to have more information on this.

Please work with your Cisco account SE to have more information on this.

I get more info in this forum than our assigned SE. 

...So True

Already relased

Current release

IOS XE 3.4.0SG—December 5, 2012

This release note describes the features, modifications, and caveats for the Cisco IOS XE 3.4.0SG

software on the Catalyst 4500-X Series switch,

Cisco IOS XE Software Release 3.4.0SG delivers new software and hardware innovations in campus

access and aggregation deployments that span across many technologies including Security, Video,

HighAvailability, NetworkVirtualization, IPMulticast and Lower TCO as following:

High Availability

• Virtual Switching System (VSS)

– Layer 2 Multichassis EtherChannel (MEC)

– Enhanced Port Aggregation Protocol (ePAgP) split brain detection method

– Cross-chassis Nonstop Forwarding with Stateful Switchover (NSF/SSO)

– Cross-chassis in-service software upgrade (ISSU)

– Support for virtual switch link (VSL) on 1 Gigabit and 10 Gigabit links

– All four ports on quad supervisor scenario may be used for uplink

So, has anyone actually used it yet?

I'm a little confused on the difference above stated between L2 VSS and L3 VSS.  Does that mean shared SP is supported, but not RP?

Its not a L2 or L3 VSS is the correct term.  the VSS system combines both Physical Cat Switches into one Dataplane providing High Availability, redundancy, High throughput & Simplified Management by providing Single Administration.

However, It Also Provides Two Control Plane ( 2 Supervisor Engines), One being as Active and One as Backup.

Regards,

Mohamed

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card