Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS Quad on 4500 Example Configuration.

Lucio Garrido
Level 1
Level 1

Hi community,

I need your support over how to configurate a VSS on switch 4500 with 2 supervisor in each device. I have this document with this reference but no is very clear. Please someone that knows about this configuration:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-4500-series-switches/118597-config-vss-00.html

The document reference say me that I need to configure the actives supervisor of each switch in VSS and colocate this supervisors (VSS) in rommon mode, after I continue with the configuration of the supervisors active (before stadby), but simply place the supervisor in rommon mode or is besf to turn off the supervisors active and finish your configuration and after continue with the others supervisor (standby) in the same mode.

I hope I have been clear, thank you for your attention and promt response.

Regards!

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

I have never done quad sup VSS, but according to the document you posted, there is no need to turn off the stand-by supervisor. You just reboot the chassis using the software, but need to have console access, so you can stop the boot process on the stand-by sups.

I recommend you test this multiple times and document it well, so when something goes wrong during production you or others know exactly what to do, if not quad sup VSS recovery can become disaster.

HTH

Hi,

Thks for your comments and yes is correct I need to test. See you and comment later the end of the configuration.

Regards.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card