cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS Supervisor Replacement, Role Priority problem

Eric Hansen
Level 1
Level 1

So I have a 6500 VSS pair, Switch 1 Sup is my Secondary Active, and Switch 2 Sup(failed hardware) is my Primary Standby.

Switch 2 is operating with a higher role priority, as of right now Switch 1 is configured as a higher role.

My concern is if I put in my replacement supervisor in Switch 2 with his higher operating priority, but lower configured priority, will the Active Switch 1 supervisor boot?  If the operational priorities were switches, meaning if they were as they are now configured, I wouldn't be worried.  This would just be a straight forward failed secondary vss sup replacement.  But with the operational priorities being the way they are I am worried it will be impacting.

we are a 24/7 shop.

1 Reply 1

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Eric,

It is usually not a very good practice to use switch priority for VSS, as it make your environment unpredictable with unforeseen or unexpected reboots specially since you have 24/7 shop. for example; If you reboot both switches as the same time, by default switch-1 is always the primary and switch-2 comes up as backup even though the default priority for both switches is 100. So, I think removing the priority for both switches would eliminate any uncertainly, because if you bring up another switch online, the switch that is primary now will stay as primary until you manually force a fail over (if you need to) or until the primary switch fails.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card