cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS Upgrade to 3.8.6E and manual FPGA upgrade

russell.sage
Level 1
Level 1

I am planning to upgrade a pair of 4506-E SUP 8-E supervisors in VSS mode to 3.8.6E with WS-X4748 UPOE line cards- The release notes state the following

Manual Field Programmable Gate Array Upgrades

If you have installed WS-X4748-UPOE in the chassis, note the following:

With Cisco IOS XE Release 3.8.xE, after an ISSU upgrade, you may have to manually upgrade the Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) for WS-X4748-UPOE+E line cards that have version ID (VID) 03 or later versions. (To check the VID, enter the show inventory command in privileged EXEC mode). 

The required FPGA upgrades are not triggered automatically after an ISSU upgrade. This may result in an unexpected FPGA upgrade of all applicable linecards if a linecard is inserted online (OIR), after ISSU upgrade. The solution to this problem is to manually perform an FPGA upgrade during a maintenance window. 

Follow these steps for all WS-X4748-UPOE+E linecards in the chassis:

Switch(config)# service internal

Switch(config)# end

Switch# hw-module module-number upgrade-fpga-all

Anyone got any experience of doing this? Any known gotcha's? 

I presume I have to do this twice once for line card in the active switch and once for the card in the standby switch using the virtual switch mapping slot.

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Never seen something like this before. This is something new.
Is your 4748 have a hardware version 03 (or later)? I suspect this is a design/hardware "bug" that the FPGA can't automatically upgrade itself.

Yes they are. I plan to use the ISSU process as I have over 1500 Cisco IP phones sitting behind the core switches and I want to avoid that load reloading if possible.

So I will have an engineer on site so will follow Cisco instructions and see what happens. If I do them one at a time I should be OK

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card