cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS - VSL's port channel interface (switchport or no switchport)

When reading documentation about how to configure port-channel interfaces with the role of virtual switch link among two VSS enabled chassis, I couldn't find any reference about specifically configure the VSL port-channels as "switchport" o "no switchport". According to what I understand configuring these two port channels as "no switchport" is the right approach. However, I would be grateful if somebody could confirm it. Would there be any impact if they were configured as "switchports"? I tested this last "switchport" config in the lab and everything seemed to work right, too. I mean the ordinary config:

interface port-channel 1

switch virtual link 1

no shutdown

vs this alternate one with the port-channel configured as a "switchport" that it seems to work too

interface port-channel 1

switchport

switch virtual link 1

no shutdown

Thanks in advance

Kind regards

Octavio

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What platform are you using? It appears there are 2 versions of this.  The 4500x works as switch port and the 6800 works only as no switch port.

BTW, it used to be all switch ports for all platforms.

HTH

View solution in original post

Hi,

Yes, if its switch port than it needs to be trunked.

Your config should look like this (per interface).  Most of these commands are added by default when you convert the interface to VSL I am not sure about "switchport mode trunk" if this command is not added by default, you can add it to the Portchannel and the physical interfaces should inherit that.

interface TenGigabitEthernetx/x/x
 description VSL Link Member
 switchport mode trunk
 no lldp transmit
 no lldp receive
 no cdp enable
 channel-group 16 mode on
 service-policy output VSL-Queuing-Policy

HTH

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What platform are you using? It appears there are 2 versions of this.  The 4500x works as switch port and the 6800 works only as no switch port.

BTW, it used to be all switch ports for all platforms.

HTH

Thank's a lot, Reza. That's the explanación. It's a 4500X. If configured as switchports, do I hace to worry about the allowed VLANS on the VSL port-channels? Do I have to allow every configured VLAN on the switch?

Thanks in advance 

Octavio

Hi,

Yes, if its switch port than it needs to be trunked.

Your config should look like this (per interface).  Most of these commands are added by default when you convert the interface to VSL I am not sure about "switchport mode trunk" if this command is not added by default, you can add it to the Portchannel and the physical interfaces should inherit that.

interface TenGigabitEthernetx/x/x
 description VSL Link Member
 switchport mode trunk
 no lldp transmit
 no lldp receive
 no cdp enable
 channel-group 16 mode on
 service-policy output VSL-Queuing-Policy

HTH

Thank you, Reza. I've just tested it and it works fine. Every defined VLAN is sent over the trunk of the VSL port channel.

Thanks a lot for your help

Octavio

Glad to help and thanks for the rating!

Good Luck

Reza

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card