Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP configuration lost after rebooting the switch 2960S

awadmohammad5
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Experts,

i want to connect a 2960S cisco switch in our production network so i erased the startup config deleted vlan.dat rebooted then changed the VTP mode to client and VTP domain to TEST

after saving the config again i reloaded the switch but VTP config got lost even though i saved it it back to default VTP config mode server and domain NULL 

anyone knows why its happening like this ?

Awad Mohammad
4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@awadmohammad5 wrote:

changed the VTP mode to client and VTP domain to TEST

VTP domain cannot be changed without a VTP password.

please elaborate it didnt get it clearly
Awad Mohammad

Check the password used on the server:

show vtp password

and confirm if it is the same you configured for the new client. Also check the sync between them you could compare the MD5 Digest Values. 

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Hello

After reload do you lose all config of the switch not just the vtp d/b ?

try deleting vlan.dat and config.txt this wipe the switch entirely 

when the switch reloads - make sure the vtp versions are correct ( 1 - 2 are not compatible ) and the correct domain is set 

If you have done all this and your vtp d/b does get populated and you’ve saved the config also and you still lose the vtp database and all data after reload then check your Config-File  variable on the switch 

sh boot 

or 

sh bootvar

res

paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card