cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP propagation of MST information Catalyst switches

nkariyawasam
Level 1
Level 1

If we are to configure MST instead of PVST, can we also use VTP to propagate the VLAN info ?

7 Replies 7

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

Which switch are you having? VTP propagation of the MST configuration is not supported. However, you can manually configure the MST configuration (region name, revision number, and VLAN-to-instance mapping) on each switch within the MST region by using the command-line interface (CLI) or through the SNMP support.

HTH

Ankur

ace-cco
Level 1
Level 1

Yes you can.

VTP Advertisements are propagated on trunk links via a reserved multicast address. You propagate the VLAN info, not the MSTP Info .. Make sure you hav a trunk configured - you should see your VTP info soon, refer to VTP troubleshooting to ensure you have your vtp properly configured.

Regards

Robert Blasey

Endwigast
Level 1
Level 1

mst and pvst is for spanning-tree mode while server, client, and transparent is for vtp mode. it doesn't matter what spanning-tree mode you use as long as you have a server - client relationship on your vtp domain you would always propagate the vtp info.

if you are talking about mst instance info then you would have to configure it to all the switches. it doesn't get propagated like vtp info

VTP3 propagates the MST configuration on switches belonging to the same vtp domain. It is only available on CatOS though...

F/

Configuring all these info manually is a pain.

This is a differant question but related to the same.

I compared results of PVST and RPVST. When there are two core switches and two uplinks to each core from access switch. When the forwarding link fails, the convergance time is about 15 sec in case of R-PVST. But is about only 5 Sec with PVST with uplinkfast feature.

Cisco document sas that the uplinkfast feature is built-in to R-PVST, but I cannot see the same according to the results.

Any ideas/experience are welcome on this.

nice, i didn't know that one. thanks

JonnyP
Level 1
Level 1

With the introduction of VTP v3 (circa 2008 as far as I can tell), MST information can now be propagated.

Just thought I would add a comment since this came up as the first result in a google search in Aug 2019...

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/solution_guide_c78_508010.html

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card