Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP (revision numbers) and one client not getting updates

Dont Know
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

Somewhere along the line one of our switches (3750x) got messed up. Once they were finally configured about 6 months ago we never touched them again.

I noticed yesterday when I created a new vlan it was not getting populated to one of our switches. For some reason I did not notice that the domain name on the switch not receiving updates was not our domain.

So I switched the domain on this switch to the correct domain and it still does not show any updates and also has a revision # of 7.

So on this switch I then unplugged all trunk ports and did "vtp mode transparent". I then switched it back to "vtp mode client vlan".
It still showed revision 7.

So I tried "vtp domain bogus" and "vtp mode transparent" and then did "vtp domain mydomain" and "vtp mode client vlan".

So I tried "vtp domain bogus" and "vtp mode transparent vlan" and then did "vtp domain mydomain" and "vtp mode client vlan".

I am at a loss as to how to fix this problem other than rebuilding the switch. I have a vtp server at revision 10 and two other switches also at revision 10 that are getting updates from the vtp server. Only one switch is not.  Please note that this one switch that is not working at some point did since it has all the vlans we created on our initial installation.

-- Thanks

// GOOD switch
GOODSWITCH#show vtp status
VTP Version capable             : 1 to 3
VTP version running             : 3
VTP Domain Name                 : mydomain
VTP Pruning Mode                : Disabled
VTP Traps Generation            : Disabled
Device ID                       : 7426.acad.de00

Feature VLAN:
--------------
VTP Operating Mode                : Client
Number of existing VLANs          : 15
Number of existing extended VLANs : 6
Maximum VLANs supported locally   : 1005
Configuration Revision            : 10
Primary ID                        : b838.61aa.5880
Primary Description               : lab-desk
MD5 digest                        : 0xB8 0x3E 0x2C 0xB7 0x85 0xB5 0x5D 0xA6
                                    0x4A 0x4E 0xFC 0x5E 0x5A 0xA1 0xAF 0xCC

Feature MST:
--------------
VTP Operating Mode                : Transparent

Feature UNKNOWN:
--------------

// BAD switch
BADSWITCH#show vtp status
VTP Version capable             : 1 to 3
VTP version running             : 3
VTP Domain Name                 : mydomain
VTP Pruning Mode                : Disabled
VTP Traps Generation            : Disabled
Device ID                       : 7426.acad.ee80

Feature VLAN:
--------------
VTP Operating Mode                : Client
Number of existing VLANs          : 12
Number of existing extended VLANs : 6
Maximum VLANs supported locally   : 1005
Configuration Revision            : 7
Primary ID                        : b000.b4b0.f200
Primary Description               : lab-desk
MD5 digest                        : 0x7A 0x5C 0x2E 0x05 0xF2 0x80 0x6F 0x2F
                                    0x4E 0xE1 0x34 0x07 0x01 0x7F 0xB9 0x2B

Feature MST:
--------------

Feature UNKNOWN:
--------------

21 Replies 21

Correct.. With that information and the fact that there are two VTP servers listed in "show vtp devices" (ie: 2 different macs) and the address range is on the same machine then i am talking to the same switch. I was confused since I saw two different mac addresses.

So what I just did was take a brand new switch and added it into the network and had it set to client mode and vtp domain mydomain. I have the exact same problem with this machine. It starts out as version 7 and it has the 6 vlans we created on day one (months ago) but does not show the 3 vlans i added yesterday. This also points  to the same mac address as my other broken switch.

There seems to be something really wrong and have no clue what the problem is.

argh!

Thanks

Hello

Just clarify the current VTP server is running in version 3 and is presently promoted a the vtp primary?

Are all the other clients even the one that isnt getting the DB synchronised are all running vtp 3?

Have you tried forcing the exisitng vtp server primary again?

#vtp primary force

Please note the following

if you change the vtp3 domain name AFTER promoting the switch to a primary server  then you will need to re-promote it again

:
Vtp3 server ( promoted to a primary can ONLY change vtp database)
Only one vtp primary per vtp domain

Any other vtp 3 server cannot change vtp database unless its promoted to vtp primary ( either by force or checking for other vtp 3 switches ( server/primarys

Add vtp 3 switch as a Client
--------------------------------------------------------
1.    Choose switch to become vtp 3 client ( making suee the revison number is 0 ( change to transparent back to client)
2.    Change vtp ver to 3 (one attached this will initiate a synchronization of the switche vtp DB to that of the new vtp3 priamry server vtp D/B -  As long as the password /domain are the same)
3.    Change password to be hidden ( optonal)

Attached to network.

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Paul.

You have solved it. I forced to primary again and my client got the vlan updates.

In addition the new switch I tested this morning also got the update.

It also shows the right primary server mac address.

Thanks to everyone for the help in fixing this!!

----

Have you tried forcing the exisitng vtp server primary again?

#vtp primary force

Hello

Glad to be of assistance - Thank you for your rating also!

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

A possible reason to question usage of VTP ver. 3 is because it's, I believe, much more particular about how the VLAN database is shared, to preclude, as you write "accidentally blowing away all vlans."  I'm unfamiliar with using VTP v. 3, but if you don't want to try v. 2, you might want to also review Cisco documentation for using v. 3.

I did notice in your first posting both devices were running as clients.

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

There is a couple of things to to look out for.

1. The domain names may look the same, but make sure there are no leading or trailing spaces in them.
  2. The switch must be connected via a trunk, and the native VLAN of that trunk must match.
  3. Check your vtp passwords - the MD5 digests seem to be different, which suggests the password may be wrong.  Again, consider leading or trailing spaces.

Out of curiosity, if you did a "vtp mode transparent" followed by a "vtp mode client", how did you end up with a configuration revision of 7?  Normally that would knock it back down to zero, wouldn't it?

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

1. The domain names may look the same, but make sure there are no leading or trailing spaces in them.

>> I am pretty sure I did not add any spaces leading or trailing.

1. The switch must be connected via a trunk, and the native VLAN of that trunk must match.

>> I think my output further on down in this post shows them as VLAN 1.

1. Check your vtp passwords - the MD5 digests seem to be different, which suggests the password may be wrong.  Again, consider leading or trailing spaces.

>> we are not using passwords.

Out of curiosity, if you did a "vtp mode transparent" followed by a "vtp mode client", how did you end up with a configuration revision of 7?  Normally that would knock it back down to zero, wouldn't it?

> do not know. I am new to this. that is why i did those steps since all forums/cisco docs said this is one way to reset it back to zero.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card