cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP server and client setup in multiple switches

chinpohpang851
Level 1
Level 1

I understand that we need to setup 1 vtp server and client to exchange trunking messages, to advertise and to updates. But when I have 4 switches connected in square formation, which 1 should I choose to become Server? Another senario, if I have distribution and core layer switches, where I should place my VTP server switch?

Thanks.

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Usually core switches are more power full than access or distro switches.  So, the core maybe a good place for VTP server.

From VTP doc:

At this point, the network administrator must choose a few well-equipped switches and keep them as VTP servers. Everything else that participates in VTP can be turned into a client. The number of VTP servers should be chosen in order to provide the degree of redundancy that is desired in the network.

link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/lan-switching/vtp/10558-21.html

HTH

I should also use the same switch to setup the VLANs?

Yes, you should have at least 2 vtp servers in your network and you can create any new vlans on either server and if vtp is working correctly will get propagated across the rest of your switches .

I should also use the same switch to setup the VLANs?

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Not sure about VTPv3, but with earlier VTP versions, the only major difference between VTP servers and clients is, servers allow you to configure VLAN changes.  Both exchange VLAN database information with their immediate neighbors.  The real advantage of only having one VTP server configured, it avoids two people configuring two VTP servers at the same time, and creating an update conflict between them.  (NB: if you lose your only VTP server, you can promote a client to be a server.)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card