Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP will not update

davidfranek
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a 3550 that was in one VTP domain and I need to add it too another. When configuring VTP it does not receive all VLAN's.

I have deleted vlan.dat file and cleared VTP domain information and tried creating other vlans to increase revision number, no luck.

Can someone fill me in on what I might be over looking.

switch#sh vtp stat
VTP Version                     : running VTP2
Configuration Revision          : 5
Maximum VLANs supported locally : 1005
Number of existing VLANs        : 6
VTP Operating Mode              : Server
VTP Domain Name                 : Gigabit_Network
VTP Pruning Mode                : Enabled
VTP V2 Mode                     : Enabled
VTP Traps Generation            : Enabled
MD5 digest                      : 0x2D 0xC7 0xB9 0x57 0x8D 0x0D 0x05 0xA8
Configuration last modified by 139.88.1.150 at 5-24-11 22:53:48
Local updater ID is 139.88.1.150 on interface Vl1 (lowest numbered VLAN interface found)
Preferred interface name is e0                                                                     

Thanks.

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

VTP password not the same?

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Type in the correct vtp domain name , while if it was defaulted it "should learn" the vtp domain name and just use that I have found you are better off configuring the vtp domain name ahead of time.  Also make sure your trunks are working  correctly , if not vtp will never update .  If you are a person  that forces on trunks the configs must match on trunks and you need to verify trunking is working correctly.  Make sure your vtp revision number on the new switch is less than the current server so you do not wipe out all your vlan information . Change your switch to transparent and then back to client or server depending on how you are setting up.

no VTP password, I had a port mising a trunk commands.

no VTP password

You need one.

This particular VTP domain does not use a password. I had a port missing trunk commands.

Thank you

ewlgtoday
Level 1
Level 1

Hello David,

I'm curious if you found a solution to this problem.  If you did, even though it's been some time, can you kindly post it here.

Also, the "sho vtp stat" results you've posted here, is this from the current server switch or the new switch you're looking to add?

Are you adding the new switch in client mode?  This is the best practice mode to add any switch to a VTP domain even if it is to be vtp server later on.

Curious.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card