Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP

tarun_cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can someone please explain what's the practice of keeping switches vtp modes as server client or to use transparent mode in SMEs.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

8 Replies 8

mrdogantr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Tarun,

VTP Server

Can create new VLANS

Save the changes to vlan.dat

Send advertisments when new VLANs are created (higher revision number);

VTP Client

Cannot creat VLANS

Doesn't store the information about the VLANS(they are active only in RAM)

Passes through the VTP advertisments to other clients.

VTP Transparent

Can create VLANS

Stores the information in vlan.dat

Doesn't send advertisments to other switches when new VLANS are created on him nor accepts advertisments wth new higher revision numbers.

Only passes VTP advertisments from other VTP Server Switches when VTP ver.2 is enabled on it.

hth

Muammer

Ven Taylor
Level 4
Level 4

Long story short:

Using Client/Server is easy, but an improperly configured switch can bring down your entire L2 deployment.

Using Transparent is more administratively intensive, but avoids any disastrous mistakes.

My first major network was client/server and I saw this happen a few times.

After that, I always used Transparent.

Ven Taylor

ankugarg
Level 3
Level 3

There are lot of things to consider while selecting the mode (Of course,lot of restrictions also)..

read the best practices from cisco doc--

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.2_52_se/configuration/guide/swvtp.html

Hi,

only one thing you have to make sure when u connect new switch to existing n/w.by default all cisco switch will be in server mode,and the vlan databse will be blank.if u r configuring the existing VTP server name with server mode in newly connected switch,the vtp version number will change and all other switches in the n/w will update their VLAN.dat with this

higher version number,it can bring down the n/w.

tarun_cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Thnks guys,

Thts correct it will remove vlans.

Wat would be quick fix -to manually reconfigure vlans all together and any alternative exists which is faster?

vtp client/server is faster.

Faster yes, but also lends itself to disaster if not careful.

I think the poster will find this debate is akin to ford/chevys, you will find believers and disbelievers in both corners.

zappo0305
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco doesnt recommend using vtp, u know the drill

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card