Views
Helpful
Replies

VxLAN is here - now what?

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Folks:

I'm wondering just how much and how fast this will change the game in the data center. The details of its operation are still sketchy, but from a high level, it promises to allow a return to L3 isolation at the access layer as well as vmotion between subnets. The importance of all the progress that's been made recently in L2 multipathing (TRILL), horizontal scale out with L2 (flattening the data center) may very well become less important and less applicable, except perhaps for non-IP traffic, like FCoE.

No matter what, this is huge. The concept is not a new one for those who have been thinking about this for a while. Personally, I was thinking more along the lines of MPLS, GRE or pseudowires, but this is similar.

Would love to hear some thoughts.

Victor

19 Replies 19

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cloud computing is the driving force behind these technologies. You will see plenty DC environments changing the way they do business within the DC environment. Active/Backup DCs will be a thing of the past and you will see Cloud along with Active/Active DCs not only on the 'service' industry but also within the 'enterprise'.

I agree, Edison. In my present position, we have these discussions every day. Cloud computing, FCoE, DCB, TRILL, VCS, Q-Fabric, Open Flow SDN, VxLAN, server-storage-network virtualization, VN-LINK, VEPA, etc. 

I don't have all the answers or a full understanding of VxLAN right now - I'm not sure anyone does, but it sounds very promising. It may have some advantages over TRILL in terms of deployment and management. I did a deep-dive white board session on TRILL a few months back, and I have to say that it is one of the most complex and seemingly-arbitrary protocols I have ever seen.

The future should be interesting

No discussions about LISP? [pout]

Well lisp allows you to separate location and address in routing not really relevant for the current discussion I would think

There has been some argument about using it within the dc but none very series afaik

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

douhanm,

it was an inside joke between friends..

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card