Views
Helpful
Replies

Wake on LAN issue

Vijay Bhargav
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have configured a PC for WOL on port 9 in 2 different floors, unfortunately one is working and other is not. I have verified the ACL's which in the entire path, none of them is blocking the pakets to reach WOL server.

I need few clarifications :

1. Whether the PC's should be placed in DHCP pool are PC should be assigned static IP address

2. Any debug commands or any steps , which can be used for troubleshooting.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

VB

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

VB

I do not think that it matters whether the PCs use DHCP to get their address or use static IP. WOL should work if configured correctly.

You tell us that PCs are on different floors but do not tell us whether they are configured the same or are configured differently. This is especially important to know in terms of what subnet they are in.

- are they in the same subnet or in different subnets?

- what subnet is the WOL server in?

- how have you set up WOL?

From the very brief description that you give I would guess that one PC was in the same subnet as the server and works and the other PC is in a different subnet and does not work. If that is the case then additional questions become:

- have you configured ip forward-protocol on the router/layer 3 switch where the server is connected?

- have you configured ip helper-address on the router/layer 3 switch where the server is connected?

- have you configured ip directed-broadcast on the router/layer 3 switch where the client is connected?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the reply. Please find the detailed description :

Server, Working (W) & non-working (NW)

floors are in 3 different subnets. I have configured "ip forward-protocol" on udp port 9. All the interface under working and non-working floors are configured with "ip directed-broadcast" command.

To reach Server VLAN from these floors, OSPF is configured. WOL is setup properly in server and client machines.

I do not find any mismatch in configuration in Working and Non-working floors.

Hope this clarifies.... Let me know if any further information needed.

Also i have not used IP-HELPER address command on none of the interfaces...

Regards,

VB

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card