Views
Helpful
Replies

Want to add one more Switch in Stack

gauravasthana
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have a running setup having 2 Cisco 2960s 24 TS switch with Stack configuration. Now I want to add one more same Cisco switch. My questions are:-

1) How can I do this...(Should follow the same process as I did before. Please suggest.

2) Could I do this without impacting the service. i.e. without rebooting the switch.

3) What should be the connection archiecture as of now since there is two switch so it is connected 1 -1 and 2-2. but for 3 switch should we require to change the connectivity.

Please help me on this.

Thanks & Regards,

Gaurav Asthana

1 Reply 1

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello, I haven't done this with 2960s but I have with 3750s. Had a stack of 3 running in production. In the mean time I had another switch that we needed to add to the stack, before implementing it, I upgraded the IOS to match the exact same version on the stack.
Then on the stack I provisioned a new member like this:

Conf t
!
Switch 4 provision ws-c3750-24p

The switch number, and the model is defined in this command, you can also pre configure the ports of the new switch even though its not connected yet.

Once that was done, out of hours I had added the switch to the stack without a reboot or anything, and it seemed to work fine. Just as a precautionary measure, I always set a lower priority on the new switch. This might not be the best way to do it but it worked for me.

Please see here for the effects of adding switch to stack and some considerations required. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_53_se/configuration/guide/swstack.html#wp1178950

Hope this helps

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card