Views
Helpful
Replies

WATT & Volt of CISCO Catalyst 2960 SI POE 24

nightmoon@03
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

I have CISCO Catalyst 2960 SI POE 24. I am palnning to install CCTV over POE. 

I would like to know what is watt and voltage that each port can provide please. 

Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 10.30.51 AM.png

8 Replies 8

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Thank you for your swift reply.

As you mentioned that the output 370W / 24 = 15.4 W per port, but I did not find anything in the data sheet according to the voltage.

This is the camera power requirements:

Power Consumption:  

12 VDC, 1.3A, max. 15.5W
PoE (802.3at, 42.5V to 57V), 0.5A to 0.1A, max. 17.5W

The 802.3af standard defines the voltage range for powered devices as 37.0–57.0 . This should be sufficient for your camera.

cheers,

Seb.

Thank you for your reply.

I agree with you regarding the voltage, but the output of the switch port is 15.4 W. 

The camera requirement is 15.5W so its require more Wattage. I am afraid that the camera will stop after hours.

The 15.5W on the camera is a peak - probably only occurs at startup - there will be some tolerance on that figure ±5% maybe

The 15.4W on the switchport is peak - again there will be tolerance on that figure - it's unlikely that the switch will deny power for a 15.401W draw for example... 

The real question as to whether it can supply it will be if you're fully populating the 24 port switch exclusively with cameras - another question is whether it is desirable to have all of your cameras on a single switch (knock out one switch and all of your cameras are offline)

Do you already have the switch to reuse or is this a planned purchase? If I was in your place, I'd frame it that "we can try the 2960SI that we have on hand, but be aware that it doesn't strictly meet the spec for the camera. It should work, but it's entirely possible that it may not." and prepare them for purchasing a device that will deliver >15.5W/port

Thank you for your useful information.

Yes, we already have the switch. 

I would like to ask you two questions please:

Do you recommend switch with more power, if yes please write it model .

I am also afraid of bottle neck in my network. What is the best way to avoid bottleneck network issue?

Don't know your design - I have a system here with 48no 1080p IP cameras - in theory I could do that all from a single 48-port switch.

In practice I'm using 4no 24-port switches for resilience, each camera is covered by another camera (so I can see if someone is attempting to tamper with a camera) and no two adjacent cameras are cabled to the same switch (so if a miscreant kills one switch, the neighbouring camera is unaffected). Every camera has the cabling present to cable back to two different locations.

Those 4no switches are not stacked and are in 4no separate locations, each with utility power and a UPS - they are each dual 10G connected to two distribution layer devices, with the facility to add to the aggregation if needed. I could have gone straight for 40G uplinks but 10G is sufficient for 12no cameras (and the additional link is for resilience) and would continue to work with up to 24no on a single 10G link.

Think you're right to be concerned at performance of your network - I've kept my cameras on a separate physical LAN, mostly for reasons of security with the side benefit that someone hammering the "regular" LAN cannot impinge on the performance of the security LAN and vice versa.

As for choice of model - my start point was the inherent reliability of equipment - as someone with a background in reliability theory, I know that if a device is designed to supply 370W and I ask it to supply close to 370W full-time, it will inevitably fail sooner than if I use a device capable of 740W or more ("derating for longevity" - see https://www.weibull.com/hotwire/issue92/relbasics92.htm for the very basic overview, it concentrates on single component reliability, but remember that your switches are made up of thousands of individual components). 

Given that this is a security-based installation, as far as possible everything is at least duplicated (2no power supplies in each of the 4no switches, served from separate sources, housed in separate locations) - reliability, performance and resilience doesn't arrive for free, so it depends on what your security is protecting... mine is a layer in a system that is used to gather evidence of (attempted) abduction and (threats of) violence against staff, so cost is typically a minor factor in decision making.

Short story: Start by drawing out the most basic possible system and then ask yourself what if each part (and sub-part) of that fails? One switch fails? One power supply fails? One source of utility power? One Link? Then think like a criminal: what if someone tries to disable a camera? etc

Put your full paranoia hat on, plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Hello, can you tell me what is the appropriate sfb for this type please

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card