Views
Helpful
Replies

what is a rx ring/tx ring in router?

Ray Han
Level 1
Level 1

hi all

below image describes a process router routes/switches a packet.

ScreenHunter_001.jpg

first router receives a packet

interface processor stores the packet private buffer or public buffer.

above step.

what's a role of RX ring?

ring is a shared memory(buffer) or a dedicated memory(buffer) for interface?

is there anyone what is a rx ring(tx ring)?

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

I would like to add a little more.

Along with public and private interface pools,  Cisco IOS creates special buffer control structures called rings. Cisco  IOS and interface controllers use these rings to control which buffers  are used to receive and transmit packets to the media. The rings  themselves consist of media-controller-specific elements that point to  individual packet buffers elsewhere in I/O memory.

Each interface has a pair of rings - a receive ring for receiving  packets and a transmit ring for transmitting packets. The size of the  rings can vary with the interface controller. In general, the size of  the transmit ring is based on bandwidth of the interface or VC and is a  power of two (Cisco Bug ID CSCdk17210).

Regards,

Kevin

View solution in original post

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

In addition to all answers by other friends here, the term ring in general describes a circular buffer, i.e. a formerly linear list of entries in which each entry has a pointer to the next element in the list, and the "last" element points back to the "first" element in the list, thereby making it circular.

Hence, a ring has a finite space - it can contain a limited number of entries. In addition, entries are added sequentially into a ring, and if the ring has the maximum size of N elements, adding the (N+1)th element will place it on the 1st place, essentially replacing the former 1st entry. In other words, a ring of size N always holds at most N most recent entries. This is especially interesting for congestive applications like interface buffers, in which a transient burst may cause the interface buffers to overfill. In such case, these buffers will keep at most N most recently received frames.

Also, the Tx/Rx rings are often implemented in hardware, as a part of an interface controller. These controllers have buffers to store excessive received or transmitted frames, and the buffers are circular in nature - with limited space, and if overfilled, the most recent entry overwrites the least recen. What you are seeing in your exhibit are most probably the HW rings implemented inside a particular interface type.

Best regards,

Peter

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Just to add a bit to what the other posters have already noted.  What's "special" about the ring buffers they are designed to try to keep up with the interface traffic requirements, especially when receiving.  Usually they are tied to hardware interrupts.  The reason they are "circular" is because often they use an address block and modulus address offsets, often binary.  For example, if you allocated 3 bits for an address offset you would have 8 offsets, zero to seven.  All you need to do is increment the offset.  When it overflows it wraps back to the beginning, hence its a circular or ring buffer.

9 Replies 9

davidmeiker
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

Well .. Im not very expert about this thing.. but I Know that..

RX = Receive Traffic

TX = Transmit traffic

I think that the "ring" is a simbol to refer about series of tasks inside a queue...

Im not pretty sure... Experts... what are your opinions?

Thanks for your reply

i guess ring is a kind of buffer or memory.

but i don't know which type of buffer?

i think that is one of above two

Ring is

1. buffer asigned for only h/w interfae(it means that only the H/W interface can use the buffer)

2. buffer asigned among a shared buffer by scheduling of ios

Hi,

I would like to add a little more.

Along with public and private interface pools,  Cisco IOS creates special buffer control structures called rings. Cisco  IOS and interface controllers use these rings to control which buffers  are used to receive and transmit packets to the media. The rings  themselves consist of media-controller-specific elements that point to  individual packet buffers elsewhere in I/O memory.

Each interface has a pair of rings - a receive ring for receiving  packets and a transmit ring for transmitting packets. The size of the  rings can vary with the interface controller. In general, the size of  the transmit ring is based on bandwidth of the interface or VC and is a  power of two (Cisco Bug ID CSCdk17210).

Regards,

Kevin

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

In addition to all answers by other friends here, the term ring in general describes a circular buffer, i.e. a formerly linear list of entries in which each entry has a pointer to the next element in the list, and the "last" element points back to the "first" element in the list, thereby making it circular.

Hence, a ring has a finite space - it can contain a limited number of entries. In addition, entries are added sequentially into a ring, and if the ring has the maximum size of N elements, adding the (N+1)th element will place it on the 1st place, essentially replacing the former 1st entry. In other words, a ring of size N always holds at most N most recent entries. This is especially interesting for congestive applications like interface buffers, in which a transient burst may cause the interface buffers to overfill. In such case, these buffers will keep at most N most recently received frames.

Also, the Tx/Rx rings are often implemented in hardware, as a part of an interface controller. These controllers have buffers to store excessive received or transmitted frames, and the buffers are circular in nature - with limited space, and if overfilled, the most recent entry overwrites the least recen. What you are seeing in your exhibit are most probably the HW rings implemented inside a particular interface type.

Best regards,

Peter

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Just to add a bit to what the other posters have already noted.  What's "special" about the ring buffers they are designed to try to keep up with the interface traffic requirements, especially when receiving.  Usually they are tied to hardware interrupts.  The reason they are "circular" is because often they use an address block and modulus address offsets, often binary.  For example, if you allocated 3 bits for an address offset you would have 8 offsets, zero to seven.  All you need to do is increment the offset.  When it overflows it wraps back to the beginning, hence its a circular or ring buffer.

Ray Han
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

Thanks for reply.

your explanation are very helpful and clear to understand it.

thanks again and have a nice week!!!

Best regards,

Sanghee

Hi, I know this thread is quite old but could someone tell me where is it possible to find this or similar diagram and where I can find more information about cisco routers hardware queueing mechanisms (especially 2600 platform). I need it for my dissertation project.

Thanks in advance

Hello Luke,

These links may be of some interest although I am not sure if they cover all necessary details:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a0080094e92.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps133/products_tech_note09186a00800a7b80.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/networkers/nw99_pres/601.pdf

Some interesting information can also be found in the Cisco Press book called Inside Cisco IOS Software Architecture - you will find many references to it on Google.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

I've seen all the links but not the book so thanks for your help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: