cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is the best Etherchannel or STP for redundancy between switches?

jigarshah
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am new to the group . I confussing between Etherchannel & STP.  What is the best,Etherchannel or STP for redundancy between switches?

Regards,

Jigar Shah

2 Replies 2

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would use etherchannel.  This will give you greater available bandwidth and STP

will not block one of the ports.

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi All,

I am new to the group . I confussing between Etherchannel & STP. What is the best,Etherchannel or STP for redundancy between switches?

Regards,

Jigar Shah

Hi Jigar,

EtherChannel is a port trunking (link aggregation being the general term) technology or port-channel architecture used primarily on Cisco switches. It allows grouping several physical Ethernet links to create one logical Ethernet link for the purpose of providing fault-tolerance and high-speed links between switches, routers and servers

Spanning tree protocol can be used with an EtherChannel. STP treats all the links as a single one and BPDUs are only sent down one of the links. Without the use of an EtherChannel, STP would effectively shutdown any redundant links between switches until one connection goes down. This is where an EtherChannel is most desirable, it allows full use of all available links between two devices.

So if you want to go people always prefer for Etherchannel !!

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card