cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is the difference between native vlan and PVID?

Iloveyou
Level 1
Level 1

Refer to the below output:

Name: gi1
Switchport: enable
Administrative Mode: trunk
Operational Mode: up
Access Mode VLAN: 1
Trunking Native Mode VLAN: 100
Trunking VLANs: 1,8,12,16,20,100
General PVID: 1
General VLANs: none
General Egress Tagged VLANs: none
General Forbidden VLANs: none
General Ingress Filtering: enabled
General Acceptable Frame Type: all
General GVRP status: disabled
Customer Mode VLAN: none

What is the difference between native vlan, PVID and customer mode LAN?

Many thanks in advance,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

KJK99
Level 3
Level 3

@Iloveyou 

PVID means Port VLAN ID. It is a single VLAN ID associated with a port. PVIDs are used in the General port mode. Other port modes are Access, Trunk and Customer. I don’t know much about the Customer port mode, but it looks like it is something that can be useful only in environments where double VLAN tagging is needed. On the other hand, the General port mode is widely, and often solely, used by many networking equipment manufactures. It is very flexible and can be used instead of both the Access and Trunk port modes.

In the General port mode, ports are marked as tagged and/or untagged when they are assigned to VLANs. A port can be tagged in many VLANs and than it is expected that a frame arriving at the port includes a tag that indicates the VLAN the frame belongs to. However, a port is usually marked untagged in only one VLAN and than its PVID tells what VLAN a frame arriving without a tag belongs to.

For example, an equivalent of an Access port to VLAN 10 would be a General port that is untagged in VLAN 10 and has its PVID set to 10. Similarly, an equivalent of a Trunk port with the native VLAN 10 would be a General port that is untagged in VLAN 10 and has its PVID set to 10 as well as it is tagged in some other VLANs.

Kris K

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Read this thread : https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/whats-difference-between-native-vlan-and-pvid/td-p/2100708

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hi,

The posts explains native vlan but it does not explain the difference between native vlan and PVID.

An example would be great.

Also what is customer vlan?

Hello @Iloveyou ,

the link provided explains the differences between PVID and native vlan

the PVID is the VLAN to which the port belongs when switchport mode is access mode

this can be set using in interface mode:

switchport access vlan <X>

switchport mode access

the native VLAN is an 802.1Q concept and it is the VLAN on a port acting as an 802.1Q trunk for which the frames are sent and received untagged (without an 802.1Q header).

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk native vlan <Y>

The default native Vlan is 1, but this can be changed on a per port basis as it is shown above.

Customer VLAN none :   it might be related to dot1q tunnel mode operation when set

Hope to help

Giuseppe

KJK99
Level 3
Level 3

@Iloveyou 

PVID means Port VLAN ID. It is a single VLAN ID associated with a port. PVIDs are used in the General port mode. Other port modes are Access, Trunk and Customer. I don’t know much about the Customer port mode, but it looks like it is something that can be useful only in environments where double VLAN tagging is needed. On the other hand, the General port mode is widely, and often solely, used by many networking equipment manufactures. It is very flexible and can be used instead of both the Access and Trunk port modes.

In the General port mode, ports are marked as tagged and/or untagged when they are assigned to VLANs. A port can be tagged in many VLANs and than it is expected that a frame arriving at the port includes a tag that indicates the VLAN the frame belongs to. However, a port is usually marked untagged in only one VLAN and than its PVID tells what VLAN a frame arriving without a tag belongs to.

For example, an equivalent of an Access port to VLAN 10 would be a General port that is untagged in VLAN 10 and has its PVID set to 10. Similarly, an equivalent of a Trunk port with the native VLAN 10 would be a General port that is untagged in VLAN 10 and has its PVID set to 10 as well as it is tagged in some other VLANs.

Kris K
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card