cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is the maximum multicast traffic throughput for an Cisco2811?

cliff.lo72
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

May I know if anyone know what is the maximum multicast traffic throughput for an Cisco2800? I have a client whose have 2 x Cisco2811 connected to the internet ISP. (one active & one standby). However, always having intermittance performance issues. (WAN bandwith is 45Mbps on  the active link)

After some investigation, I discover that > 99% of their traffic is multicast frame (due to the nature of the applications & services they subscribed). And if I did not understand wrongly, ip multicast traffic is fast switching, which have a lower performance as compare to ip cef switching.

On a Cisco2811, with ip cef enable, it will be able to provide an approximate 60Mbps (base on packets' size 64K) maximum throughput, so what is the maximum throughput if it is fast-switching? (I suspect it is less than the 45Mbps)

If my suspicious is correct, then Cisco2811 will not enough to support their applications.

Does anyone have similar experince?

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi leolaohoo,

Thanks for the reply, When you mention half-duplex, does you mean uni-direction? so any idea about bi-direction?

Half it and you get the full duplex figure.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card