cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What will be a Gateway IP for PC connected through HWIC-4ESW i/f card of a modular router?

ashish7aditya
Level 1
Level 1

I have one router "cisco2911" and I have connected 2 PCs(PC#1&#2) under different VLANs through 2 switch ports(fa0/0/0 & fa0/0/1) of HWIC-4ESW i/f card.

Also, I have connected one more PC(PC#3) on other i/f of router Gi0/1(10.1.1.10/8).

PC#3 has IP add 10.0.0.1/8 & it's D.GW is 10.1.1.10.

Now if PC#1 or PC#2 want to ping PC#3, then firstly there should be a D.GW configured on them.

but what will be the D.GW for PC#1(11.1.1.1/8) & PC#2(12.1.1.1/8) ?

PC#1 is connected through switchport(fa0/0/0) which is under access VLAN#4 & PC#2 is connected through switchport(fa0/0/1) which is under access VLAN#5.

Will I have to create 2 separate Interface VLANs(i.e. VLAN#4 & #5) on router for switch ports(HWIC-4ESW) corresponding to each VLAN(#4 & #5) and these Interface IPs will act as a D.GW for PC#1 & PC#2 respectively?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Will I have to create 2 separate Interface VLANs(i.e. VLAN#4 & #5) on router for switch ports(HWIC-4ESW) corresponding to each VLAN(#4 & #5) and these Interface IPs will act as a D.GW for PC#1 & PC#2 respectively?

That is correct.  You need to create an SVI for each vlan (4 & 5) and give each an IP address to be used as the D.GW for each PC.

HTH

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

tbo2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, more specifically you would have to create two sub-interfaces on the router corresponding to the subnet of each end device (PC) connected to the VLAN. The IP address that you set on each sub-interface will be the default gateway for the respective end device. 

Please refer to this link for creating sub-interfaces.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/14587

Thanks Reza..

Aside tbO2: I believe here no need to create sub-interfaces on router as I am already using separate switch ports through HWIC i/f card.

However, Sub-i/f will be required for TRUNK connections by using single phy i/f of a Router(i.e. divided into multiple logical i/f & each i/f represent one LAN).

Thanks once again Reza & tbO2..!

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That is correct.  You need to create an SVI for each vlan (4 & 5) and give each an IP address to be used as the D.GW for each PC.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card