cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

When to use Store-and-forward vs cut-through switches

romanroma
Level 1
Level 1

I am building out a new data center, and I am unsure of real world models on when to use 'store-and-forward' vs 'cut-through' switches. I understand that concepts or operating methods; however, I am not sure how to translate this to real world production environments, and which type/method of switch to use for which business/topology model case.

Looking for suggestion or to talk ideas over with.

Thank you

Roman

8 Replies 8

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
It boils down to if you have a need for the lowest possible latency. If you do, then you consider cut-through switches. If you don't store-and-forward should be fine.

Keep in mind, if you're working to reduce latency, there other things you can do too, such as using higher bandwidths (which transmit a frame in less time - also may reduce the need to queue any frames), or try to reduce the number of switches between hosts, or consider using QoS and avoiding jumbo Ethernet.

@Joseph W. Doherty
So within a VMware cluster/server farm build - would it make sense to have 'cut-through' or would something along these lines be served with a better configuration?

Again, depends on the latency needs of the application(s).

Most applications, with gig and better connections, don't need the ultra-low latency provided by cut-through.

@Joseph W. Doherty,
I totally understand and I appreciate your comments and suggestions. Working with Database and developers, and they are crying about latency; however, I find nothing wrong with the 'store-and-forward' current switch architecture or the topology creating latency issues. Yet, I want to cover my bases.

Database developers, eh? Usually the network, itself, isn't the issue, unless we're talking long distant WAN links, and in those cases, the physical speed of signal transmission can be an issue.

Unfortunately, many developers, database and other kinds, don't fully appreciate what happens "under the covers", and also often don't fully appreciate the possible impact of scale. Often developers work to meet functional requirements to the exclusion of all other considerations.

If a developer has something that works great in their "test/development" environment, but it doesn't work so great outside of that environment, there must be something wrong in the latter's environment.

A teaching example I've used (aimed at relational databases) is my explaining how on some of the early small computers I trained on didn't have multiplication hardware. If you wanted to multiply two numbers, you might do it by adding. So, for example, for 2 times 3, you might add 2 three times or 3 twice.

If, though, you want to multiply 2 by 3,000,000, you could add 2 three million times, or 3,000,000 twice. The latter was much, much quicker than the former.

Relational database joins, are much like the foregoing multiplication examples, when you don't have hardware that can multiply. It doesn't much matter how you join a table/relation of 2 rows/tuples with 3 rows/tuples. If can matter, much, how you join 2 rows/tuples with 3,000,000 rows/tuples. (Query optimizer any one?)

Where additive multiplication, or table/relation joins, become "interesting" is when you need to do 2,000,00 by 3,000,000.

Martin L
VIP
VIP

Store-and forward is typically used in todays' Cisco switches;
I am not sure if you can change that per switch. can we ?

Hello,

on a side note, the document linked below discusses the issue in detail. I think the newer Nexus switches use cut-through...

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/nexus-5020-switch/white_paper_c11-465436.html

Sorry was away for the Holiday.

From my understanding most Catalyst switches are store and forward.

Nexus 5k are cut-through and 7k is store-and-forward.

I think some models you can change; however, I would have to look up on that.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card