cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

where is the printer in switch

Mary
Level 1
Level 1

I got a printer IP 10.20.1.3, may I know which command to check which interface it is assigned to? show ip arp return a blank line

3 Replies 3

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you know the mac address, you can look for it in the mac address table.

"show mac address-table" 

It will show you the port that it's coming out of...

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Rolf Fischer
Level 9
Level 9
show ip arp return a blank line

Have you entered the 'show ip arp' command on the layer-3 device for subnet 10.20.x.x?

If so, you could simply ping the printers IP from that device in order to create a new ARP entry and follow John's advice then with the reported MAC address (optionally: show mac address-table address <MAC-address>).

HTH

Rolf

Hello

I got a printer IP 10.20.1.3, may I know which command to check which interface it is assigned to? show ip arp return a blank line

On the L3 switch
Ping 10.20.1.3
sh ip arp | in 10.20.1.3 ( this will return the ip address and related mac-addresss

sh mac-address adrress xxxx.xxxx.xxxx ( this will show you the either the interface the printer its attached to or the interface of the next device to check.)

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card