cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WHich has more packet cos priority ip routing and voice

mirror512
Level 1
Level 1

There is a drag drop in SWITCH exam and there are different answers on internet . The questions is

packet.png

In one dump it says ip routing has pripority more than voice and in one it says it comes at bottom below network management.

I want to know what is true

1 Reply 1

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Don't recall if it applies to all routing protocols, but believe many will use IP Prec 6 or CS6 which would, if recognized and treated, should take precedence over all user type traffic, even traffic like VoIP which is generally marked IP Prec 5 or DSCP EF.  (NB: reason for this, if the network doesn't have the correct information, it's possible all user type traffic will be negatively impacted.)

What I've just described is for L3 packet ToS.  Switch's using L2 CoS, should generally map IP Prec or DSCP CS into the same CoS values, and if they do, routing information should also be given priority over all user type traffic.

NB: remember, whether L3 ToS or L2 CoS, it's up to the devices whether they will treat traffic differently and how such treatment will be done.  I mention this because an exam answer may not correspond to "real world".

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card