cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Which IOS version are you using for switch : WS-C2960-48PST-L ?

tangbuiquoc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We have a number of switch model : WS-C2960-48PST-L

Recently, we upgraded them to latest version that Cisco suggested such as: c2960-lanbasek9-mz.152-2.E6.bin,c2960-lanbasek9-mz.152-4.E3.bin and some more versions

Md5 checking showed correctly result, set booting with new IOS but finally our switches could not start up or start with high latency from ping, so i had to recover the booting to previous one...

As i know this witch model is very popular since it supports PoE...

Which IOS version are you using for this switch model ? and do you upgrade to latest version ? if yes, please recommend your version 

Appreciated your advise

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Here is the latest IOS for the 2960 series switches from August 2016. Since the switch is end-of-life and support, you probably will not see any newer versions of IOS for it.

c2960-lanbasek9-mz.122-55.SE11.bin

HTH

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

12.2(55)SE train is probably the most stable IOS code Cisco developers created.  This code is ideal (and, personally, highly recommend) for 2960-series family of switches, 3560- and 3750-series family of switches. 

15.0(2)SE has also become mature, particularly the latest releases (don't even bother with the earlier releases because they were just horrific).  

tangbuiquoc
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks all so much for your input... actually our switches are using " 12.2(50)SE5" without problem and stable  but it seems to be old version and i will try to upgrade to 12.2(55)SE as Leo mentioned 

Do you usually upgrade your "daily working switch" to latest version ?

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

Hi

Its highly recommened to keep up to date with the latest versions for your devices to mitigate against security vulnerabilities , there fixed/patched  as they move along , the longer you sit on an IOS version the more open you could be , you can scan the images yourself with 3rd party software like McAfee vulnerability scanner along with Cisco vulnerability scanners and you will see exactly what the current ios version your on is susceptible too in terms of bugs and weaknesses

tangbuiquoc
Level 1
Level 1

Hmm good point Mark, but my situation is..latest IOS version cause my switch could not start with high CPU.

I think Cisco should not public the version that unsure what will going on for their products, as an Network Admin they tend to upgrade from remote office with more trouble :)

I agree with Leo with the stable version for this model, but i could not see that version on Cisco download part... any thoughts ?

Many thanks

Hi

I do agree with Leo about 12.2.55  release it was the best release not only on 2960s I had other switches never hit an issue in years running it and then moved to v15 and were seeing all kinds of irregular issues , the  move to v15 didn't start well for Cisco but the images have gotten a lot more stable

saying that checking your model against the Cisco website I don't even see the newer images under support for them did TAC tell you to jump to them , I see it stops at 15.0 no higher that's why im  wondering

The recommended image is one of the ones that Leo is saying to use on that platform from last August which should be fine as its not that old at all , i was more advising against staying with images that maybe 4 -5 years or older and some 12(55) versions run back that far to 2010 , you should try stay up to date no matter what the train is 12 or 15 whenever possible

Catalyst 2960-48PST-L Switch

LAN BASE  Login Required
c2960-lanbasek9-mz.122-55.SE11.bin
18-AUG-2016 64 / 32

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=282202842&flowid=2563&softwareid=280805680&release=12.2.55-SE11&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=ED&reltype=latest

Thanks Mark, it seems i have mistaken on here during the download firmware version ...since i downloaded IOS from "Catalyst 2960-Plus 48PST-L Switch" , didn`t realize that Cisco has Plus and "Catalyst 2960-48PST-L Switch"

with "Catalyst 2960-48PST-L" Switch`s download, yes - can see version 122.55.se11 out there...

So i confuse about model between Catalyst 2960-Plus 48PST-L Switch" & Catalyst 2960-48PST-L Switch...and it`s cause me trouble..

Much appreciated this, it`s very helpful save me a day !!!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card