Helpful
Replies

why Cisco no longer supports third party SFPs after upgrade to 15.2

Small_Potato
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I wonder why Cisco no longer supports third party SFPs after upgrade to 15.2

But other vendors still support Cisco or others SFP transceivers.

Is that Cisco Technology limitation or even declining so then can not support it anymore?

My Signature: I want to turn all STP off.
5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- How are you effectively observing this. For instance is there anything in the logs when the SFP is inserted or issue show logging just after boot (when the SFP is present). Also include full device model.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I wonder why Cisco no longer supports third party SFPs after upgrade to 15.2

Cisco do support some vendor SFP but you need to issue commands one of them as below :

service unsupported-transceive

or

no errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid

Post the interface information also Logs to understand if still have issue.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

No, those commands are no longer available.

You might try it on C1000 / new C9XXX, and no way to use my non-Cisco 10 GB SFP+ now.

My Signature: I want to turn all STP off.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Small_Potato wrote:

I wonder why Cisco no longer supports third party SFPs after upgrade to 15.2

Officially, Cisco will never support third-party SFP.  

However, we are using third-party optics (not just SFP/SFP+ but QSFP as well) and they work well. 

There are many third-party optics manufacturer that will even "re-flash" the optics to bypass the checks.

Scott Hodgdon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

bluegrass,

Please keep this in mind when using non-Cisco Transceivers:

Section 6 – Third party components

Cisco Guideline:

Third party components support

The Cisco guideline for support and warranty services for the use of third-party memory, cables, Gigabit Interface Controllers (GBICs), filters, or other non-Cisco components is as follows:

When a customer reports a product fault or defect and Cisco believes the fault or defect can be traced to the use of third-party memory products, cables, GBIC's, filters, or other non-Cisco components by a customer or reseller, then, at Cisco's discretion, Cisco may withhold support under warranty or a Cisco support program such as SMART Net Total care service.

When a product fault or defect occurs in the network, and Cisco concludes that the fault or defect is not attributable to the use of third-party memory, cables, GBICs, filters, or other non-Cisco components installed by a customer or reseller, Cisco will continue to provide support for the affected product under warranty or covered by a Cisco support program.

The nature of the defect or error is the key to determining Cisco support obligations.

Cisco also reserves the right to charge the customer per then current time and material rates for services provided to the customer when Cisco determines, after having provided such services, that the root cause of the defective product was caused by a third-party vendor supplied product.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/warranties/warranty-doc-c99-740959.html#_Toc55311888

Cheers,
Scott Hodgdon

Senior Technical Marketing Engineer

Enterprise Networking and Cloud Group

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card