cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why does a PC Accept a Frame on A Switch

Cisco10956
Level 1
Level 1

PC1 “192.168.10.5” and PC2 “192.168.10.8” are on the same switches LAN, there is no router connected to the switch, and both computers are Windows 10. There are ten computers in total connected to the switch.

Problem.

PC1 sends a message to PC2 and the switches MAC table doesn’t know the MAC address of PC2. So a broadcast is sent out to all of the computers on the switch, and PC2 accepts, all the other computers discard the message.

My question is this.

If the frame has the ip address of PC2, and the source address of PC1, but not PC1 destination MAC address.

• How or why does PC2 accept the Frame for the message. ???

The Ethernet frame = [ "IP Packet " : Src:MAC “2A3”_A Dst:MAC ???_B ] 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Flavio Miranda and MHM, I think you are misunderstanding

This is switch not a HUB, that has a MAC address table and the reason why there is a broadcast is because there is no destination mac address in the frame, so there will not be a destination MAC address in the table. 

[So when this Ethernet frame reaches PC2, "why is the frame being accepted by this computer", when all it has is an ip address of PC2.]

Thanks

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

read any CCNA course, explain that.
CBT nuggets I suggest.

"

If the frame has the ip address of PC2, and the source address of PC1, but not PC1 destination MAC address.

• How or why does PC2 accept the Frame for the message. ???
  •  
  • At this point, you first have the broadast frame. The broadast does not have IP address yet   it has the source Mac address of PC1 and destination Mac address of PC 2. 

The, PC reply with your Mac address as source and PC1 as destination and its IP address. 

Then PC1 get to know PC2 IP address 

This vídeo is very informative 

https://youtu.be/cn8Zxh9bPio 

Hi Flavio Miranda and MHM, I think you are misunderstanding

This is switch not a HUB, that has a MAC address table and the reason why there is a broadcast is because there is no destination mac address in the frame, so there will not be a destination MAC address in the table. 

[So when this Ethernet frame reaches PC2, "why is the frame being accepted by this computer", when all it has is an ip address of PC2.]

Thanks

friend 
please take look to link @Flavio Miranda  and I provide, 

some Q for me I could not answer it 
""no destination mac address in the frame"" !!!!!!!!!!
how frame with no MAC. 

advice for you, keep study hard

There are a couple of things to clarify in your question. 

Firstly if PC1 sends a message to PC2 then that suggests PC1 has PC2's mac address so the destination mac address would be PC2 and the switch, if it did not have PC2's mac address would flood the unicast packet. 

But assuming PC1 does not have PC2's mac address then destination mac address is a broadcast mac address and that is why PC2 accepts it, as do all the other PCs but only PC2 has the correct IP address. 

Jon

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Cisco10956 from reading your OP, in this thread, and your two other recent postings, I suspect some of your confusion might be due to you possibly believing PCs, on Ethernet, work "differently" depending on whether they are connected to a hub or a switch (or perhaps also sharing the same Ethernet physical wire, whether p2p between a pair of PCs, or using 10Base2 or 10Base5).

Logically, L3 (e.g. IP) and L2 (e.g. Ethernet) work the same regardless whether hubs and/or switch and/or etc., are being used.

When one host wishes to communicate with other host, it needs the other host's L3 address (e.g. an IP address).  However, logically communication of L3 depends on L2, so the sending host also needs the other host's L2 address (e.g. an Ethernet MAC).

First thing the host will do, is map a L3 address to a L2 address.  It does this first by checking if already has a statically defined L3 to L2 address mapping.  If not, for efficiency, it keeps a cache of recently learned L3 to L2 address mappings, and checks that.  If L3 still isn't known, it attempt to acquire that information by sending out a broadcast (L3 and/or L2) directed to all other hosts requesting the L2 address for a specific L3 address (in IP this is a ARP [address resolution protocol] request).  (NB: if the L3 to L2 is provided, by the destination host replying, the information is stored in a cache so this process doesn't need to be repeated for every subsequent transmission to the same destination [for a short time period]).

Only if the sending host "knows" or can resolve L3 to L2, can it generate a L2 frame directed to the destination host.

Notice in the forgoing, shared media (i.e. same physical wire), hubs and/or switches, are not mentioned because the hosts don't care, i.e. it doesn't matter.

Shared media, hubs, and/or switches, do matter, in how frames are transported between hosts, but again, not to hosts (at least logically) themselves.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card