cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why in this diagram, the switch sees 5 devices instead of 4

mohamadnaameh
Level 1
Level 1

I try to make the example 5-8 in chapter 5 : Analyzing Ethernet LAN Switching but the (Why in this diagram the switch sees 5 devices instead of 4) switch.jpgany one can help in that

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @mohamadnaameh,

It is the Switch 1 interface MAC address. 

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

View solution in original post

Its normal, you did not make a mistake.

-hope this helps-

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

ammahend
VIP
VIP

one of the mac address is of switch 1 interface connecting to switch 0, do a show interface <interface-name> of switch 1 and compare the mac address with what you are seeing on switch 0

-hope this helps-

mohamadnaameh_0-1697106056913.png

this is the switch 1 interface

share output for "show interface f0/4"

-hope this helps-

mohamadnaameh
Level 1
Level 1

mohamadnaameh_0-1697111848873.png

output for "interface f0/4"

so if you see the bia address on interface, thats what you are seeing on switch 0 mac table

-hope this helps-

it's normal or I made a mistake ?

Its normal, you did not make a mistake.

-hope this helps-

thanks for your support

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @mohamadnaameh,

It is the Switch 1 interface MAC address. 

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

Martin L
VIP
VIP

I think the author of the book has simplified the output for the purpose of explanation/education.  It easier to show 4 PCs and their MACs in switch table rather then 4 of those  along with MACs of other switch.  The goal here -I think- is to learn how switch learns MACs and when it does;  Switches learn MACs when frames come thru and writes the Destination MAC of each frame with interface id and vlan id that such MAC came in. IF you see multiple MACs listed but they all have same interface x/y, such interfaces is a trunk interface. You can also use MAC address table on each switch to track MAC and end user device from source to destination.

What happens without any PCs connected or without any communication ?  does PT shows you 1 MAC per vlan 1?

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

Thank you for this response. Yes one title appeared any PCs connected or without any communication

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card