Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Will I need Spanning Tree - when I have only one Switch

Hello

Could you let know if I would need to enable Spanning Tree - when I have only one switch in the network - this switch connects on North bound to Routers on South Bound to multiple servers via FEX/2k

Network Something Like this

Router A   

|

| LAG

|    

|     \     \ ( Atleast 2 Links each) - FEX - Fabric Links

|     \      \

|     \      \

2K    2K    2K

|     \     \ ( Atleast 4 Links to each server from 2K to Server ) Servers connect to only one FEX

|     \      \

|     \      \

ServerA   B    C

Is there a possibilty of loops in this scenario

Regards

Sreenath

3 Replies 3

One scenario is a accidental self loop on the 5K - yet that is due to a misconfiguration /bad patching.

Are there any other scenarios which could cause a loop ! which needs loop prevention to be considered

Regards

Sreenath

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

This answer is valid if u have only one swicth:

The purpose of spanning tree protocol is to allow redundant connections between switches to exist without creating loops that would bring the network down.

If You need more than one switch to create a loop and resolve via STP.

With a single switch, STP is moot

-------------------------------------------------------------

http://serverfault.com/questions/209378/switches-do-i-need-spanning-tree

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As you noted, it's good practice to still enable STP, even on one switch, incase a loop is accidentally created, just as looping two of the switch's ports.

FEXs shouldn't be, by themselves, creating L2 loops.

However, you example of multiple links to a server, would allow the server to loop those ports.  If the server is correctly configured, this shouldn't happen, but again, STP should be enabled to avoid accidental loops.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card