cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

will vtp mode change from server to transparent/off affect the live network ?

claudiuschan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi experts,

I have a strange issue where all my live network switches suddently activated all the vtp to 'autotest' domain when i plug in another hp switch which has native vlan only. which cause my network down. I manage to reconfigure the vlan on all the cisco switches. Now to prevent this incident happened. We decideded to off the vtp on all switches.

1. I would like to know if i change the mode of the vtp to off will it wipes all my vlan on all switches again ?

2. Is there any downtime ?

3. what are the recommend way to do this ?

thanks alot

chan

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

#1 It shouldn't

#2 There shouldn't be

#3 Always a good ideal to do during a maintenance window

View solution in original post

I agree with Joseph there should not be any risk or outage.

Changing a VTP server to transparten mode means that you can't longer update the client's VLAN-information just by making changes on that former VTP server (now transparent).  I can't see the risk of an outage here.

HTH

Regards

Inayath

*Plz rate all usefull posts.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Claudius Chan wrote:

Even I set it to off mode, should be fine rite ?

Yes, setting to off mode shouldn't cause a problem.  The major difference for off mode, device won't forward VTP packets.  As you're intent on completely removing VTP, and assuming you won't be making VLAN changes that you expect to replicate, then your devices will (individually) convert their shared VLAN database to a local copy for off mode (like they do for transparent mode).

9 Replies 9

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

#1 It shouldn't

#2 There shouldn't be

#3 Always a good ideal to do during a maintenance window

I agree with Joseph there should not be any risk or outage.

Changing a VTP server to transparten mode means that you can't longer update the client's VLAN-information just by making changes on that former VTP server (now transparent).  I can't see the risk of an outage here.

HTH

Regards

Inayath

*Plz rate all usefull posts.

Hi Inayathulla,

thanks for the help here too .. Even I set it to off mode, should be fine rite ?

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

Claudius Chan wrote:

Even I set it to off mode, should be fine rite ?

Yes, setting to off mode shouldn't cause a problem.  The major difference for off mode, device won't forward VTP packets.  As you're intent on completely removing VTP, and assuming you won't be making VLAN changes that you expect to replicate, then your devices will (individually) convert their shared VLAN database to a local copy for off mode (like they do for transparent mode).

Hi Joseph,

That is what I understand for vtp as well, appreciate your help here.

chandaniba1
Level 1
Level 1

Adding a new network device may cause the problem, eg by default all devices are vtp server mode, hence adding new device will overwrite all the vlans if the revision number of new added device is higher than the previous vtp server.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

and if VTP domain name matches (but watch out for null)

and if VTP password matches

and if device is VTP client or server

and if VTP version 1 or 2 (some new rules if v3)

Hi Chandan,

thanks for the reply. That is the reason why we would like to off it just to make sure it won't advertise to other switches in case anything happened, ex. new switch added in to the network.

Previously our all new deployed switches left with default setting for vtp which is the domain name is null & mode in server. It was working fine, until when we plug in a connection to "old network" which I believe there was some "old switch" advertise vtp to our new network and wipe out our vlan information and caused huu haa.

Claudius , that's the reason most people doesn't wanna run VTP protocol on there network. There are new features implemented in V3.. But again it has to be configured on all the devices to match. Hence there are great benefits of using this VTP also one cons which would blow your network ...

Hth

Regards,

Inayath

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card