cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wiping Cisco WS-C6504-E

Waterbird
Level 1
Level 1

I have SSH access to a WS-6504-E and have been told to wipe it and factory reset it.  I'm familiar with the procedure for wiping regular access switches but this switch looks like potentially a lot more complicated to wipe.  I'm not familar with these types of switches, or how to wipe them. Here are some issues I am needing help with:

1. Wiping Backups:  When logged in to the device, I can see it has backups by using the dir command, so I imagine I could erase those using delete command. 

2. Wiping VLAN database:  I don't see any vlan.dat file in dir, so it must be different somehow from a normal switch.  Are there other files that need to be wiped instead to getting rid of the VLAN database?  

3. Wiping the running and startup config:  This documentation seems to be talking about different procedures and different commands but I don't understand how to apply it to what I'm doing.  Do I use the clear config all command or the write erase command?  The different commands and when to use them was not clearly understood.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-2900-xl-series-switches/24328-156.html

4. Router cards:  The document refers to router cards.  What are those, how do I know if the switch has them, and how do I make sure everything is wiped?  The documentation doesn't say how to tell, but it does seem to say not to use the clear all config command if you have router cards on this device.

5. Active/Standby:  How do I know if this device has a standby module that will restore what I wipe if I do a wipe and reload?  How do I deal with that if it does have one?

In summary, if anyone can please give a very clear explanation of how to properly wipe this device that would be most appreciated. 

1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Waterbird wrote:

2. Wiping VLAN database:  I don't see any vlan.dat file in dir, so it must be different somehow from a normal switch.  Are there other files that need to be wiped instead to getting rid of the VLAN database?  

VLAN database is found in the NVRAM:  dir nvram:

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card