Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC licencing on 3850/3650

am9
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I was configuring 3850 for a customer on the ccw. The customer requires it as a core switch in HA.

It will also act as the wireless controller for the office. Do I need to add the A.P licenses in both of the switches or just a single switch will do?

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@am9 wrote:

I was configuring 3850 for a customer on the ccw. The customer requires it as a core switch in HA.

It will also act as the wireless controller for the office. Do I need to add the A.P licenses in both of the switches or just a single switch will do?

Don't do this. 

Cisco Converged Acces for 3650/3850 is not recommended.  This technology is a failure.  Cisco admitted this.  

If you want to spend good money, look at the Catalyst 9300 instead because this model will be replacing the 3650/3850 in the next 18 months (personal opinion).

@Leo Laohoo wrote:

@am9 wrote:

Don't do this. 

Cisco Converged Acces for 3650/3850 is not recommended.  This technology is a failure.  Cisco admitted this.  

hi leo,

just curious to hear about this. do you have a link to back this up?

@johnlloyd_13 wrote:

just curious to hear about this. do you have a link to back this up?

Which bit?  That Converged Access (CA) version 1.0 is a failure?

1.  This was specifically mentioned during the Tech Session of Cisco Live Melbourne (2017). 

2.  The Release Notes for 16.5.X (and later) specifically states "Converged Access (CA) is not supported beyond Cisco IOS XE Denali 16.3.x."

Catalyst 9K now come with a "new & improved" CA v2.0 chip.  

good to know. salamat!

In that case shall I use Cat-9300 and a seperate WLC?

@am9 wrote:

In that case shall I use Cat-9300 and a seperate WLC?

Correct.  I'd recommend separating the switch and WLC.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card