Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC to two CORE active/standby

Ibrahim Jamil
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Folks

I Have 2 CORE one active and the other standby,HSRP is running on these two,now i wanna connect WLC to this two core.so what am thinking is to connect the WLC with 2 interface to each CORE with with port-channel and the other with port-channel 2 ,any comment from ur side?also what is ur recomendation according the above

2)can i connect the tranceiver to core and wlc while both are running

8 Replies 8

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Ibrahim,

you can refer to the following best practices:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_tech_note09186a0080810880.shtml#topic2

and

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/6.0/configuration/guide/c60mint.html#wp1126794

you will probably need to configure LACP 802.1ad on the port channels.

you need to configure one port-channel with 2 GE members to core1 and another port-channel to core2.

You may need to use multiple Vlans and to make the bundles L2 802.1Q trunks

>> 2)can i connect the tranceiver to core and wlc while both are running

yes

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Won't work.

The WLC ain't that smart to go to two chassis ... unless you VSS it.

Hi Giuseppe and Hello leolaohoo Please Both Advise me,it will work or not,now am fully rely on you

The WLC 4400 and 5508 can support between 2 to 8 1Gb SFP links.  In a Link Aggregation (LAG) Cisco recommends the link from the WLC to connect to one VIRTUAL chassis.  It could be a number of physical switches of a stacked 2960S or 3750 series or two 6500 running VSS.  The WLC is not a switch where you can put one "leg" or link into one chassis/switch and the other link into another chassis.

Hi Lelahoo

I read your article on the netpro,was informative;

In our situation we dont have VSS,so it wont work,so ur recomendation is to connect the 4 gig interface of the controller to the Primary Active Core,but Lelehoo what happend if the Primary CORE goes Down,Please Advise ur recomndation according our situation

2)What is ur comment on Giuseppe Post in this Threat?

2)What is ur comment on Giuseppe Post in this Threat?

Nuts.  I sure hope I'm wrong because I know Giuseppe's knowledge of alot of things is very extensive.

Wireless LAN Controller (WLC) Configuration Best Practices (Document ID: 82463)
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_tech_note09186a0080810880.shtml

An excerp:

Do not configure a LAG connection that spans across multiple switches. When you use LAG, it must be with all ports that belong to the same EtherChannel that goes to the same physical switch.

In our situation we dont have VSS,so it wont work,so ur recomendation is to connect the 4 gig interface of the controller to the Primary Active Core,but Lelehoo what happend if the Primary CORE goes Down,Please Advise ur recomndation according our situation

Get a second WLC.  No choice.

Hello Ibrahim and Leo,

I was wrong, we deployed a o solution two years ago but the WLC were two not only one as I remembered. I have checked that design.

So if you cannot make a stack of the two core switches ( possible only if they are C3750 but even in that case difficult to do ) you should buy  a second WLC

Leo: rated as it deserves

Best Regards

Giuseppe

Thanks for the ratings Giuseppe.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card