cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

working PIM-Sparse Dense mode need to add one Sparse mode to same group.

TTFreer
Level 1
Level 1

I have a singlewire informacast setup working with PIM Sparse Dense mode across multaple sites. I have one meraki enviroment that I need to set up multicast routing to as well.

currently all my interfaces are configured with "ip pim sparse-dense-mode" and nothing else. My meraki equipment only suppors PIM-SM. I know for SM I need to set a RP and am wondering if I set a RP will that break my other sites on Sparse-Dense mode and what is the best way to set that up.

topology working down from source to destination. 

informacast Multicast IP

ISR 4451

ip multicast-routing distributed

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/0
ip address x.x.101.1 255.255.255.0
ip pim sparse-dense-mode
ip igmp query-interval 125

Cat 4500-x

ip multicast-routing

interface Vlan61 (Vlan to WAN)
ip address x.x.254.1 255.255.255.0
ip pim sparse-dense-mode
!
interface Vlan101 (same subnet as ISR 4451)
ip address x.x.101.3 255.255.255.0
ip pim sparse-dense-mode

remote sites configured the same, with different IP's/Subnets 

ip multicast-routing

interface Vlan61 (Vlan of Wan)
ip address x.x.254.18 255.255.255.0
ip pim sparse-dense-mode
!
interface Vlan101(reciving devices vlan)
ip address x.x.101.1 255.255.255.0
ip pim sparse-dense-mode

1 Reply 1

MarcSims
Level 1
Level 1

As I understand it, Sparse-Dense mode will operate in Sparse mode if there is a RP for the group - so if you create a RP in your Meraki environment, this (as per normal PIM-SM config) should be advertised to all multicast enabled routers - so this group will then become Sparse-Mode for the entire multicast domain.

The question I have is why would you want to operate in Dense-mode rather than Sparse-mode? If there is no application / service reason, then I would test creating a PIM RP (at least 2 RP's - for resilience - with 2 BSR candidates to propogate RP information) & operating the service in Sparse-mode. If you need to continue to operate in Dense-Mode, then you will need to have a multicast boundary between the two environments to avoid it switching a network wide switch to Sparse-mode operation just for the group (assuming you scope the PIM RP accordingly).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: