Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-C2950-24 frees and cause network issues

Hi Expert,

I have a WS-C2950-24, this deveice has been working fine for over a year(last boot up), absolutement no complain. But yesterday, without any change at the networking  level, the switch frose. The port link still blinking fine and can login to the switch(via telnet). However, PCs connected to the switch took for ever to boot up and when they do, they can ping their gw and google, but when open up a browser to go to google, I got page can't display. PC connected to the swicth can telnet to any device that has telnet enable,but can't  login to enable SSH devices.

Phone connected to the switch has their voice garble,can't each other properly.Switch did not send any log or trap to monitoring software, so no warnings were dent out by the monitoring software. SO TO RESOLVE THE PROBLEM, I RELOADED THE SWITCH AND EVERYTHING BACK TO NORMAL.

I was just wondering, if anyone the forum had that issue in the past and what was the fixe for it...

IOS (tm) C2950 Software (C2950-I6Q4L2-M), Version 12.1(20)EA1a, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

System image file is "flash:/c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-20.EA1a.bin"

Thanks,

Jean Paul

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jean Paul,

Looking at the deferred releases on the CCO, your image (12.1.20-EA1a) is not one of them.  The closest image that is deferred is 12.1.20-EA2.

Also, a search for bugs for this image using bug tool kit did not result in any useful answer.

So, I would keep an eye on in for the next few months and see if it happens again.  If it does, then it may help to upgrade to a newer release.

The latest on CCO is 12.1.22-EA14.

HTH

Reza

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Try to monitor the switch activity in the next days.

show mem (ram usage)

show proc cpu (cpu usage)

show interfaces (interfaces counters - error - excessive bandwidth)

show spanning-tree det (network loop)

show mac (cam table usage)

I suggest also to upgrade IOS. Last release is 12.1-22EA14.

Recent releases fix some issues.

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jean Paul,

Looking at the deferred releases on the CCO, your image (12.1.20-EA1a) is not one of them.  The closest image that is deferred is 12.1.20-EA2.

Also, a search for bugs for this image using bug tool kit did not result in any useful answer.

So, I would keep an eye on in for the next few months and see if it happens again.  If it does, then it may help to upgrade to a newer release.

The latest on CCO is 12.1.22-EA14.

HTH

Reza

Upgrade this device was schedule for months as I wanted to deply 802.1x on it. The current image does support 802.1X,but does not have the guess vlan feature and other features. But I will monitor the switch for the next few months before making any changes and upgrade.

But I just wanted to know whether or not someone had the same issue.

Thanks Guys, really appreciate.

Jean Paul

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card