cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ws-c2960s version stacking question

raine1378
Level 1
Level 1

in my current production i have a switch that has ios version 15.0 (2) SE but I bought 2 other ws-c2960's that have the 12.(55) SE5 version...Will it automatically upgrade when it connects to the stack, 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Isaac,

No it will not upgrade the firmware automatically bcz of IOS mismatch.

As this is the major software difference hence this will not be done.

Major Version Number Incompatibility Among Switches

Switches with different Cisco IOS software versions likely have different stack protocol versions. Switches with different major version numbers are incompatible and cannot exist in the same stack.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_53_se/configuration/guide/swstack.html#wp1166394

HTH

Regards

Inayath.

*Plz rate if this info is helpfull.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Isaac,

No it will not upgrade the firmware automatically bcz of IOS mismatch.

As this is the major software difference hence this will not be done.

Major Version Number Incompatibility Among Switches

Switches with different Cisco IOS software versions likely have different stack protocol versions. Switches with different major version numbers are incompatible and cannot exist in the same stack.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_53_se/configuration/guide/swstack.html#wp1166394

HTH

Regards

Inayath.

*Plz rate if this info is helpfull.

Inayath Thank you very much!!!! that is what I figured just wanted to make sure..

You need to upgrade the two new ones to the exact IOS level as the existing one.  Make sure they have the same Feature Set too, like LAN Base or LAN Lite.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card