cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-C2960X-48FPS-L and SFP support Auto MDI/MDX or is crossover needed?

Jason Aarons
Level 6
Level 6

I have two WS-C2960X-48FPS-L running c2960x-universalk9-mz.150-2.EX5 and using two GLC-Ts in each switch etherchanneled together.

I put a straight-thru cable in and SW1 shows up/up and SW2 shows down/line protocol down. Do I need a cross-over cable?

Nothing is in err-disable.  I did a shut and not shut on all interface and still one side is up/up and other side is down/down.  Really odd.

Both sides have exact identical config.  

2960X02#show run int gig1/0/50
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 144 bytes
!
interface GigabitEthernet1/0/50
 description Uplink to 2960X-01
 switchport mode trunk
 speed 1000
 duplex full
 channel-group 1 mode on
end

2960X02#show run int gig1/0/52
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 144 bytes
!
interface GigabitEthernet1/0/52
 description Uplink to 2960X-01
 switchport mode trunk
 speed 1000
 duplex full
 channel-group 1 mode on
end

10 Replies 10

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Straight through cable should work just fine.

Try this, delete both all interface from the Portchannle and test to see if they come up.

no channel-group 1 mode on

HTH

Removed the channel-group 1 mode on, no difference. Leaving the channel-group off the config.

Shut all ports, then no shut all ports.  Still down/down.

Technically, a cross over cable is required.

However, with 'MDIX', you can use a straight through, when you configure speed parameters etc it disables this feature, is there a reason why you need to do this?

Set both to auto...

Martin

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The issue is your IOS.  There's a known "bug" with 2960X running EX5.  Downgrade your IOS to EX4.

Hi Leo,

i think is not bug, i have same situation with that when i trying to hardcode (speed & duplex) on interface both of switches. if the interface using auto is look like a normal.

my opinion, if we want to harcode the interface both of switches we need cross-over cable eventhough the switches has auto MDIX or one of switch is auto (speed & duplex).

SW1 hardcode < mode trunk  > SW2 harcode (with cross-over cable) up/up
SW1 hardcode < mode trunk > SW2 auto (with straight) up/up

Regards, Habibi

MDI/MDI-X gets disabled if you configure speed or duplex or both.

What is the bug id?  I'm not able to find a match in the bug toolkit -jason

Jason, 

I remembered seeing a few posts regarding 2960X and a lot of SFP issues (HERE).  The only solution was to downgrade to EX3 or EX4.  

Ok, now here's the rub:  EX4 was INITIALLY the solution to solve this issue regarding SFP/SFP+ issues with 2960X.  The rub is even EX4 people started seeing MORE issues (other than SFP/SFP+).  So the final "recommendation" is to go further down to EX3.  

Personally, I wouldn't recommend anyone use 15.2(2)E.  If you have to use 15.2(2)E then be careful.  If you have 802.1x and PoE phones, AVOID 15.2(2)E or who-do-you-call (you won't be able to call someone.  LITERALLY!)?

There is not a EX4 on cisco.com.  Only the c2960x-universalk9-tar.150-2.EX5.tar or the c2960x-universalk9-tar.152-2.E.tar.

Jason, 

There WAS an EX4. 

Try use EX3 instead.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card