cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-C3750X-24T-L has 2x 10G copper as in default?

syjeon
Level 1
Level 1

we are now operating the switch device 'WS-C3750X-24T-L' now. but, this device was procured some ago. and also installed at remote site.

we need to check if this switch can have 10G interface with inter-connect server platform. when I get some show output it is like here.

NAME: "1", DESCR: "WS-C3750X-24"
PID: WS-C3750X-24T-L   , VID: V02  , SN: ---------------------

NAME: "Switch 1 - Power Supply 0", DESCR: "FRU Power Supply"
PID: C3KX-PWR-350WAC   , VID: V02L , SN: ---------------------

NAME: "Switch 1 - Power Supply 1", DESCR: "FRU Power Supply"

NAME: "2", DESCR: "WS-C3750X-24"
PID: WS-C3750X-24T-L   , VID: V02  , SN: ---------------------

NAME: "Switch 2 - Power Supply 0", DESCR: "FRU Power Supply"

yes, it's  kind of stacking x 2 C3750. when I see 'show ip int brief' then I can see the two 10G interface.

-omitted-
Te1/1/1                unassigned      YES unset  down                  down    
Te1/1/2                unassigned      YES unset  down                  down 

and I issued 'show interface te 1/1/1 capa' to dig in to see what capability it has.

TenGigabitEthernet1/1/1
  Model:                 WS-C3750X-24
  Type:                  Not Present
  Speed:                 10000
  Duplex:                full
  Trunk encap. type:     802.1Q,ISL
  Trunk mode:            on,off,desirable,nonegotiate
  Channel:               yes
  Broadcast suppression: percentage(0-100)
  Flowcontrol:           rx-(off,on,desired),tx-(none)
  Fast Start:            yes
  QoS scheduling:        rx-(not configurable on per port basis),
                         tx-(4q3t) (3t: Two configurable values and one fixed.)
  CoS rewrite:           yes
  ToS rewrite:           yes
  UDLD:                  yes
  Inline power:          no
  SPAN:                  source/destination
  PortSecure:            yes
  Dot1x:                 yes

it is like above, I just need to confirm two things. is this switch can support 2x 10G interface with copper interface type?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The 3750 config shows "ghost" 10g interfaces.  I.e. they show even when the ports are not physically preset.

The module that both Leo and Marvin mention comes in different varieties.  Not all of them provide 10g ports, so even if you had one installed, you will still see "ghost" 10g ports that cannot be used.  Only when you have a module that provides 10g ports, will you actually be able to use 10g ports.  (BTW, there's often IOS minimums to use specific modules.  [There can also be other requirements to use certain modules, although I don't thing any pertain to the basic 3750-X 10g capable modules.  Always best to check datasheets, though.])

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

and I issued 'show interface te 1/1/1 capa' to dig in to see what capability it has.

There is no module installed.

Thanks, so, this switch platform can have 2 X 10G interfaces as default, but, current switch doesn't have 10G SFP module installed? I thought this 10G can support copper type so it doesn't need SFP module, can you explain me a bit?

Your 3750X model has 24 ports of 10/100/1000 Mbps built-in.

There is a small slot on the right side that is optionally populated with a network module. Several versions are available, including one with 2 x 10 Gbps SFP+ ports.

Based on your output, on your switch that slot is not filled with anything (except probably a blank faceplate).

Unless and until you add a network module, you will only have 24 x 10/100/100 Mbps ports.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The 3750 config shows "ghost" 10g interfaces.  I.e. they show even when the ports are not physically preset.

The module that both Leo and Marvin mention comes in different varieties.  Not all of them provide 10g ports, so even if you had one installed, you will still see "ghost" 10g ports that cannot be used.  Only when you have a module that provides 10g ports, will you actually be able to use 10g ports.  (BTW, there's often IOS minimums to use specific modules.  [There can also be other requirements to use certain modules, although I don't thing any pertain to the basic 3750-X 10g capable modules.  Always best to check datasheets, though.])

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card