Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-C3750X stack loosing management access once SNMP is enabled

HeliosX
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a stack of 5 WS-C3750X switches which work fine but when I enable SNMP and then set up poling on Observium I immediately loose remote access to it. The only way to fix it is to disable poling and do a cold reboot.

Does anyone have any solution for it so I can have SNMP working on it ?

This is the setup:
1 18 WS-C3750X-12S   15.2(1)E1    C3750E-UNIVERSALK9-M
* 2 30 WS-C3750X-24   15.2(1)E1    C3750E-UNIVERSALK9-M
3 18 WS-C3750X-12S   15.2(1)E1    C3750E-UNIVERSALK9-M
4 18 WS-C3750X-12S   15.2(1)E1    C3750E-UNIVERSALK9-M
5 18 WS-C3750X-12S   15.2(1)E1    C3750E-UNIVERSALK9-M

22 Replies 22

I do not really need all the fency features of 15.2 version so I will try 15.0(2)SE12 as you suggested Joseph. Thx.

Andre,

Im planning on upgrading software in that stack.

In the meantime I found a temporary solution. 

I have configured snmp-server on the switch one more time and then added it to Observium while monitoring CPU usage.

When Observium started polling information the CPU once again went to 99% and stayed there. I then removed the snmp config from the switch while leaving added device in Observium.

After a few minutes I have added snmp-server config to the switch once more while monitoring CPU utilisation.

This time the SNMP Engine did not take over all the CPU resources. Few times it went to 30-40 % but then it stabilised.

I believe it must be one of the Discovery Modules in Observium that cisco doesn't like because when a device is first added to Observium it uses all discovery modules available and then once a device type is discovered it only uses some of them...

There is a bug listed regarding high CPU with snmpwalk (CSCum72168) so I wonder if the SNMP server is walking through all MIBs to discover the device?

Does the 3750X support control-plane policing?  Might be worth looking into that?

Thx Andrew for that bug report. I have now disabled cisco-cbqos discovery module in observium and hopefully it will be ok now.  Will let you know.

Disabling cisco-cbqos discovery module in Observium seems to have solved the problem. The CPU is not going to max anymore on the discovery.

Andrew,

Im planning on upgrading software in that stack.

In the meantime I found a temporary solution. 

I have configured snmp-server on the switch one more time and then added it to Observium while monitoring CPU usage.

When Observium started polling information the CPU once again went to 99% and stayed there. I then removed the snmp config from the switch while leaving added device in Observium.

After a few minutes I have added snmp-server config to the switch once more while monitoring CPU utilisation.

This time the SNMP Engine did not take over all the CPU resources. Few times it went to 30-40 % but then it stabilised.

I believe it must be one of the Discovery Modules in Observium that cisco doesn't like because when a device is first added to Observium it uses all discovery modules available and then once a device type is discovered it only uses some of them...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card