Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-C4500X-32 minimum fans

VladoK
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

what is the minimum number of fans needed to operate WS-C4500X-32SFP+ switch? Is that possible with only 2 fans from maximum 4? Switch will be under light load and in air conditioned server room.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ammahend
VIP
VIP

The Catalyst 4500-X switch normally operates with all five fans running. In the event of a single fan assembly failure, the chassis can continue to operate normally for extended periods of time. However fan redundancy is no longer available. In the event that another fan fails, the chassis shuts down.So to answer your question, I don't think you will be able to operate with 2 fans.

-hope this helps-

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

i take this as risk and you get alarms - check the installation guide :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500x/installation/notes/OL_24795.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Probably I have found the answer here: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500x/installation/notes/OL_24795.html#pgfId-45610

Fan assemblies

The chassis has five individual fan assemblies. Each fan assembly has an LED associated with it providing fan status.

Note The chassis normally operates with all five fan assemblies running. However, the chassis can operate for an indefinite period of time with only four fans running. If you operate the chassis with only four fans, you do not have fan redundancy meaning that any additional fan assembly failures will result in the chassis shutting down.

ammahend
VIP
VIP

The Catalyst 4500-X switch normally operates with all five fans running. In the event of a single fan assembly failure, the chassis can continue to operate normally for extended periods of time. However fan redundancy is no longer available. In the event that another fan fails, the chassis shuts down.So to answer your question, I don't think you will be able to operate with 2 fans.

-hope this helps-

karenr022
Level 1
Level 1

The Cisco WS-C4500X-32SFP+ switch requires a minimum of 4 fans for safe operation. Running it with only 2 fans, even in a controlled environment, isn't recommended as it might affect the switch's performance and longevity.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card