Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-X45-SUP8R-E wont boot when wireless controller is connected

FraserHenry
Level 1
Level 1

Hi i wonder if anyone could help with this issue,

I have 2 WS-X45-SUP8R-E's that wont boot when the wireless controller (WS-UA-SUP8E V00) is connected to the board. I have checked to make sure it is compatible with my chassis {Catalyst 4506-E with 1x 1400W AC PSU and no other modules)}. The unit seems to receive no power at all and shows no console output or light. Once the wireless module is removed all works as it should, this is the case on 2 separate supervisor modules and 2 separate wireless modules so a hardware fault is unlikely although not impossible. We are currently running version Cat4500es8-universalk9.SPA.03.03.02.XO.151-1.XO2.bin which according to the installation guide is in excess of the software version required to support the board. 

We have a couple of ideas but are struggling to find any evidence to support it.

1) The unit is currently running LAN Base which isn't the correct license for the wireless module. We are working on getting the license back for the unit as it should be running enterprise-services. However we don't think this is the issue as it's unlikely a license feature is preventing any power being applied to the board.

2) We suspect that actually the Wireless module is not supported in the 4506-E, however we cannot find any documented evidence of this whatsoever. With the supervisor being supported, we feel it's unlikely to be the case that a board designed for it isn't supported.

If anyone could assist with this issue it would be greatly appreciated

Cheers 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- I highlight some points from the document  below  (presuming it relates to the global supervisor too)  :

>....

>Image must be K9 - Crypto

>....

>Nothing else works.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-4500-series-switches/200082-Getting-Started-with-SUP8E-4500-Wireless.html

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- I highlight some points from the document  below  (presuming it relates to the global supervisor too)  :

>....

>Image must be K9 - Crypto

>....

>Nothing else works.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-4500-series-switches/200082-Getting-Started-with-SUP8E-4500-Wireless.html

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hi Marce,

Thanks for pointing out the document you linked, we'd had a lot of trouble finding that! Based on the requirements in that we're now up and powered on. We've still got issues with the card coming up but we're at least forward thanks for your response!

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Firmware version 3.3.2XO = Interim firmware version not to be used in full production.
Recommend upgrade the firmware because the behaviour sounds like a bug.

Hi Leo,

Thanks for the reply, once we got hold of the document we actually noticed that version 3.7 was the minimum requirement which contradicted what another document told us. Now we've got 3.7 running we're powered on, still having problems but we should be able to work through them.

thanks for your help!

3.7.X? Bah, that's not going to make any difference.
The "latest" 3.7.X release for Sup8 is 3.7.3 and was released on January 2016. That's more than four years old.
3.8.X is a "long live" train. I'd recommend you the the latest 3.8.X version and see if makes any difference.

IMPORTANT:  Don't forget to read the Release Notes.

Now, if you've upgraded to 3.8.X and still don't have any success, post the complete output to the following commands: 

1. sh version; 
  2. sh boot;
  3. sh license right;
  4. sh module; and
  5. dir

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

There is post about the installation and compatibility.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless-mobility-documents/sup8e-4500-wireless-installation/ta-p/3161861

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card