Views
Helpful
Replies

Call agent selection - CUCM, VCS

Andrey Emelin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

From design guides and presentations that describe pros/cons to register video devices on different call agents (CUCM or VCS) I can conclude that in different cases like when H.323 endpoint registration is necessary - we need one call agent, in another scenario - the other and in some cases (if any infrastructure has already been deployed) we may need some kind of integration, and so on. It depends on "real" scenario.

But if we talk about initial deployment - let's say customer does not have any CUCM/VCS based infrastructure, how can we choose the correct call agent for greenfield deployment? Is VCS-based cluster still valid and recommended architecture when let's say only videoconferencing is needed (not IM)? And another question: as it's stated in presentations, the CUCM is call agent to look forward - is it absolutely necessary to migrate VCS-based deployment to UCM?

2 Replies 2

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I discussed this a bit last week in response to a similar question. You're correct that it depends what the customer requirements are. My opinion is that there will be few envrionments where video should remain in a silo by itself for the next five years. It also limits your upsell opportunity.

Jonathan,

thank you for the answer and the link to the similar post, It's very useful.