cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can FRF.12 work with FR-ATM interworking?

raymond.chuang
Level 1
Level 1

When transport VoIP over a low speed link (64K). we found the voice quality be affect of data trasfered at same time. And the network used FR-ATM interworking, we found the problem was cause by serialization delay. Has any other solution than MLP reduce the packet size such as FRF.12?

8 Replies 8

Chester Rieman
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Thanks, I known the MLPPP or FRF.12 can do the L2 fragmentation and interleave small voice packet. Can FRF.12 work in ATM-FR interworking?

Hi,

If you are using Service Interworking (FR/ATM) and considering that the implementation of Cisco FRF.12 is an end-to-end Fragmentation, that is, between DTEs, the alternative to FR/ATM Interworking is use the LFI over FR/ATM.

It is not end-to-end Fragmentation. We use FR/ATM service interworking. One router encapsulate FR and ATM at anther router, i.e FR router (CE)<--> ATM router (PE),--> MPLS <--> ATM router (PE)<--> FR router (CE). Can FRF.12 work in this situation?

So you have a VPN/MPLS and you intend to use FRF.12 between CE routers. The connections between PE and CE are ATM/FR Interworking.

This scheme wills not work because the fragments have to assembled in the PE routers. The link between PE and CE is an IP connection.

Any scheme of fragmentation has to be used between PE and CE routers; hence, you can use LFI between a connection Interworking FR/ATM.

Is it PPP Multilink (MPL) interleave?

Yes, Cisco Multilink PPP over Frame Relay & ATM do Interleave and fragmentation.

I hope it help you.

We have the same problem but with a VPN tunnel (IPSec) between two Pix connected to the Internet.

Any way to fragment & interleave the packets within the IPsec tunnel ?

Thx