cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Change name of TMS server

joeharb
Level 5
Level 5

We have deployed a standalone TMS with TMSPE installed.  We want to add it to the domain to integrate users but our server group would rather the name of the server be changed to more a of a standard they utilize.  Is there an issue with simply changing the name of the server (Licensing, SQL, TMS config) prior to adding it to the domain?

Thanks,

Joe

5 Replies 5

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Changing the local computer name will have no affect on the operation of TMS, however it will affect any locally created accounts within TMS though, for that you'll need to update the computer name using the TMS Tools application on the server so that those accounts get updated with the new computer name.

Patrick,

Thanks so much for the reply...looking at the TMS Tools I see the attached image...

Do I need to document anything prior to the change?  I would expect we would change the name of the server first, then add it to the domain...would the TMS tools need to be done after that? I have found some other posts regarding this but didn't find the answer...is the old tms name OLDTMS/workgroup then NEWTMS/Domain?

Thanks for the assistance..

Joe

I'd recommend updating the computer name prior to adding TMS to your domain, that way if for some reason you can't access TMS with your domain account, you can fall back to a local admin account.

Within TMS Tools, you're simply replacing OLDTMS with NEWTMS for example, that will update all local TMS accounts that use OLDTMS\username to be NEWTMS\username.

I'd also recommend taking a backup of the TMS database, in case the computer name change fails, you can restore the database and computer name to what it was previously.

I changed the computer name and now I cannot connect to provisioning extensions logging in as domain user or local administrator. TMS tools only has a tool for changing the domain name not the computer name. Is there a way to fix provisioning extensions?

How do you have everything configured, TMS, TMSPE, and VCS? Is it TMSPE that is giving you an error or VCS, etc? Need more information in order to help.