cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco and Apple products compartibility

Toru Sato
Level 1
Level 1

I have an issue with MX800 and iPhone presentation. It doesn't work.

Connected as below

HDMI port of MX800 - Extender device - Cable(10m) - HDMI with lightning cable - iPhone6

It showing black screen only. When I connected my windows PC or direct connect without a extender device, it works fine. It seems Apple products and Cisco has some issue.  Anyone had same experience?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Matthew7800890
Level 1
Level 1

I'm going to assume the extender is an active device.

As others have mentioned it will be HDCP Apple seem to switch on the restriction for all content if available so if your extender says I can take protected content apple will send everything as protected content (including its own desktop). Now when it get the MX800 the extender say I have some protect content here you go the MX800 I'm not allowed to display protected content so will display a black screen instead.

Depending on your extender device you can just turn off HDCP and the iphone will work fine unless you actually play some protected content on it. This issue affect not just iOS devices but MacOS too and is just Apples screwed implementation of HDCP.

View solution in original post

Apple devices always try to use HDCP, and the Cisco equipment, correctly according to the HDCP specifications, will not display the HDCP protected material.  This is an Apple issue. 

One workaround to this it to put some other equipment between the Apple devices and other AV equipment (including your Cisco endpoints) - have a look at How HDCP breaks your HDTV and how to fix it for some ideas..

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Patrick McCarthy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What's this "Extender device" you mentioned? The cable is an HDMI cable, correct? 

I'm not clear on what you have - if you are extending the HDMI over CAT5/6 you would need two extender devices, one on each end, but you only mention one on the MX end. You mentioned that the iPhone works if direct connected so it doesn't seem like a interoperability issue between Apple and Cisco, perhaps the extender device - check the specs on that to see if it works with iPhones. 

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

My first thought would be that one of the devices is possibly transmitting HDCP, as that would cause the MX800 to only receive black video, as the MX800 is HDCP compliant and won't allow you to transmit protected video.  Do you have a way to see the details of the video stream going into/out the extender, as well as what is being sent to the MX800?

Apple devices always try to use HDCP, and the Cisco equipment, correctly according to the HDCP specifications, will not display the HDCP protected material.  This is an Apple issue. 

One workaround to this it to put some other equipment between the Apple devices and other AV equipment (including your Cisco endpoints) - have a look at How HDCP breaks your HDTV and how to fix it for some ideas..

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Thank you! Your answer was helpful.

I don't have that detail of video streaming data but it seems Apple device with digital always sending HDCP video and that sometime doesn't work.

Matthew7800890
Level 1
Level 1

I'm going to assume the extender is an active device.

As others have mentioned it will be HDCP Apple seem to switch on the restriction for all content if available so if your extender says I can take protected content apple will send everything as protected content (including its own desktop). Now when it get the MX800 the extender say I have some protect content here you go the MX800 I'm not allowed to display protected content so will display a black screen instead.

Depending on your extender device you can just turn off HDCP and the iphone will work fine unless you actually play some protected content on it. This issue affect not just iOS devices but MacOS too and is just Apples screwed implementation of HDCP.

I'm new to MAC device. I didn't know that MacOS sent HDCP after disabled HDCP it works very fine.  Thank you.

Brian Tiernan
Level 1
Level 1

The easiest workaround is to add an HDMI switch/splitter that is not full HDCP compliant between the MX700/800's and the desk client's HDMI input port.  This is unnoticeable and will not affect other HDCP compliant HDMI devices.  

One such product is an inexpensive CKITZE BG-520 HDMI 1x2 switch. It as also known as an HDCP STRIPPER since it placates the Apple iDevice and properly displays the shared content through Apple Lightning Port-to-HDMI adapters/cables.

CKITZE BG-520 HDMI 1x2 3D splitter v1.3 HDCP 2 port auto-switcher.