cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Content Server - NIC question

juriss
Level 1
Level 1

We recently purchased a Cisco Content Server and is runs on a UCS C220 server...

There is a dedicated NIC for CIMS functions in addition to the 2 standard NICs

Do I need to connect 2 Ethernet ports to this server?

It appears that     "Shared LOM—The 1-Gb Ethernet ports are used to access the CIMC. You must select a NIC redundancy and IP setting."

Is the default mode

We do not have a CIMS server for management of servers vis the CIMS protocol....

We do not use an NIC redundancy like EtherChannel...

Can I use the CIMS functions without a CIMS management server... e.g. Can I use a web browser to do CIMS function.

How does other on this Forum connect their Content Servers to the LAN

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Mike Assel
Level 4
Level 4

What is CIMS?  I assume you are referring to the CIMC?  CIMC is simply a management utility that runs on the UCS server. It is not a protocol and you don't need a server to manage it. You simply connect to it via a web browser or ssh session.  Check out this document. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/tcs/6_0/quick/start/quick_start.html  According to it you have to set the CIMC nic mode to dedicated, which means you can only access the CIMC through that management port. Then you connect the Lan1 port to your network to access the content server.

All that being said, you don't have to use the CIMC. It's just an optional utility that allows you to remotely manage certain functions of the server.   Hope that helps.