cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco CX20 Camera not detected and clicking

Kyle7035
Level 1
Level 1

I have a CX20 that boots properly and I can login to just fine. However the camera is not being detected. Upon starting up, the camera makes a clicking noise then pauses. This continues in an endless loop. I am aware of an issue with older firmware versions, however my system is runnning TC7.2.1. and was working without issues with this current software version. The camera has a white flashing light when plugged in. All that is connected is the special HDMI/control cable.

Any thoughts?

4 Replies 4

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Firstly, can you please check your model as there is no "CX20" - do you perhaps mean a "C20" or a "SX20"?

The camera clicking noise I've seen before when the camera has been secured with a bolt in the bottom of it, and the bolt has been overtightened and has deformed the camera base such that it doesn't allow the camera to move properly - if this is the case, try loosening the bolt in the bottom that.

On other occasions where I have seen this issue, the top of the camera had come slightly loose and the cogs didn't mesh properly, so the camera just made grinding noise.  Making sure that the camera was all in one piece properly (and didn't fall apart when turned upside down) resolved this for some, but others needed to be replaced via an RMA through TAC. 

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Whoops, you are correct it is a SX20.

The camera was mounted via a bolt in the bottom. I removed it from the mount and it still continues to click like before. It it possible that it was overtightened, and i will reinspect it more closely to see if i can see any signs of it. I am able to move the camera when it is unplugged, then once plugged in it turns and faces towards the front then begins to click.

It sounds very much like the cogs inside have had some damage or have slipped.  One thing you can try, with the camera turned off, is manually turning the camera all the way to the left, then all the way to the right, it should travel the same distance in both directions unless the cogs have slipped.  if they have, you may be able to slip it back in to a semi normal position again, then plug it back in and see how you go.   Worst case, the cogs have been damaged too much and you will need to get a replacement, either under RMA through the TAC if you have an active service contract, or purchase another similar camera.  Depending on which model camera you have with your SX20, the camera may be end of sale, so you may have to purchase through the second hand market.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

PJMack
Level 7
Level 7
TC7.2.1 was released in October 2014 - it's nearly five years old. Have you tried anything more recent? I'd try upgrading the software, but what you're describing sounds like a mechanical problem, I'm guessing you'll need to replace the camera. I'm also guessing you don't have support on this unit, so you might have to look at something on the used market.