cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco EX60 versus DX80

jonhardiman
Level 1
Level 1

Working with customer that has a need to do only point to point Video within their LAN. No firewall traversal. We were initially speaking to them about EX60 as they also have a need for a hardened case to protect the unit within a Jail. Customer is not running CUCM. Knowing that the EX60 EOS is coming up in June what options do I have as it appears from what I've read that the DX80 only works as a CUCM endpoint. Also I can't find that the DX80 has a hardened case available.

Thank you in advance

5 Replies 5

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The EX60 is becoming End of Sale too, but its bigger brother, the EX90 is still available (and has a similar screen size to the DX80).

The EX60 Hardened Shields were made by FocalPoint Inc.  Perhaps you can contact them to see if they make a similar one for other models.

Note: Your question would be better placed in the TelePresence section of the forums where these devices are more actively discussed than in the Video Over IP section you've posted in - I'd suggest, if the above hasn't answered your query, that you move your discussion over there.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Thanks Wayne. I reached out to FocalPoint and they don't make any other hardened cased for Cisco Endpoints and once the remaining EX60 cases are sold they will only have the Polycom Group 500 VideoProtect cases.

For the prison installations we do, we generally put the screen behind a perspex wall and present a boundary mic and speaker behind a grill to get the audio in/out of the endpoint.  Doing this means we are able to use pretty well any endpoint we like without worrying about specific hardened cases and can swap out different models as we need to.  We've traditionally used Edge 95 MXPs, but are starting to migrate to SX20s.

For some of the lower security prisons, the EX90s have proved adequate without any additonal hardened case around them.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Thanks Wayne. That's a pretty slick setup. Does the jailer handle initiating the call via remote control?

Most of the calls are inbound to the prisons from courts, legal practitioners or medical staff. But yes, when outbound is required, the prison guards can initiate the call with a remote (on the older end points), or a touch panel or PC application (for the newer ones).

Wayne

Wayne