Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Jabber client is using 53xxx range to communicate to VCSE

Hi,

As per Cisco document document cisco Jabber client suppose to use media port 50000 to 52399 or 21000 to 21900 and i have opened the same port in my firewall. but i can see in my firewall internet jabber endpoint is using port 53xxx range to communicate to my VCSE. but this port range was not mentioned in any cisco document. How the jabber client can use some different port to communicate to vcse.

currently if any one made a call from or to internet jabber endpoint, the call will get connect but there would not be any media.

VCS version is 7.2.1

Cisco Jabber version is 4.5

Thanks & Regards,

Nikhil Jayan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Nikhil!

First of all forget the documentation and look at your configuration.

On the VCS-E go to:

Maintenance > Tools > Port usage > Local VCS inbound ports

There you can see the actual configured inbound media ports for the VCS-E (you also find a outbound port list,

but they should be the same). I bet it is something above 50000-52399, most likely 50000-54999.

(the vcs port increase should also be mentioned in the x7.2.1 release notes)

This is the port range for media which you have to open as the destination port towards the VCS and as

the source port on packages from the VCS.

As you can not know which ports will be used as the destination ports to and the source ports from the

system on the internet you would have to say 1024-65535 for that part.

You can see it on your JabberVideo client, you might be able to change it on the client (like the 21000-21900)

but if you have a NAT router in between the port range can be completely different.

Also 3rd party products might use a complete different port range, so on the internet site 1024-65535 and

on the vcs site the configured media ports it is.

Depending on your config/deployment you might need to open more ports for media, check on the port list,

like multiplex media (2776, 2777), turn (60000-61800), b2bua (56000-57000).

Some scenarios where the JabberVideo client is firewalled but directly on a public ip might also cause

additional trouble as the nat detection does not properly work and the client might end up in trying

to send media directly to the remote site (local call).

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

HI Team,

Please see the below mentioned firewall logs, the call was made from internet jabber video endpoint.

here you can see jabber endpoint is using 53xxx port for communicating to the vcse.

Call one:

Call two:

TMS config template:

Thanks & Regards,

Nikhil Jayan

Hi Nikhil!

First of all forget the documentation and look at your configuration.

On the VCS-E go to:

Maintenance > Tools > Port usage > Local VCS inbound ports

There you can see the actual configured inbound media ports for the VCS-E (you also find a outbound port list,

but they should be the same). I bet it is something above 50000-52399, most likely 50000-54999.

(the vcs port increase should also be mentioned in the x7.2.1 release notes)

This is the port range for media which you have to open as the destination port towards the VCS and as

the source port on packages from the VCS.

As you can not know which ports will be used as the destination ports to and the source ports from the

system on the internet you would have to say 1024-65535 for that part.

You can see it on your JabberVideo client, you might be able to change it on the client (like the 21000-21900)

but if you have a NAT router in between the port range can be completely different.

Also 3rd party products might use a complete different port range, so on the internet site 1024-65535 and

on the vcs site the configured media ports it is.

Depending on your config/deployment you might need to open more ports for media, check on the port list,

like multiplex media (2776, 2777), turn (60000-61800), b2bua (56000-57000).

Some scenarios where the JabberVideo client is firewalled but directly on a public ip might also cause

additional trouble as the nat detection does not properly work and the client might end up in trying

to send media directly to the remote site (local call).

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify