Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SX20 with skype

Debudas123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Anyone please suggest is it possible to call from a Skype account to cisco sx20?

If possible then please tell me the process.

Thanks

Debu

7 Replies 7

Chris Swinney
Level 5
Level 5

Firstly, I would suggest that this a poor exercise, however, it is possible with a whole bunch of additional equipment, such as a gateway from PEXIP, or a cloud provider (perhaps BlueJeans), or wait for Microsoft to release "Skype for Business" early next year.

Cheers

Chris

"or wait for Microsoft to release "Skype for Business" - still need Pexip, Acano, BlueJeans etc for that as Skype for Business is Skype/Lync - unless you've got a Lync deployment and relevant VCS gateway/option keys etc etc.

Another way to do this, and it ain't pretty, is to hook up a laptop with Skype installed, do the Skype call to/from it and add it as the presentation source.

/jens

Please rate replies and mark question(s) as "answered" if applicable.

I "think" that the 'Skype for Business' is supposed to natively support standards based systems. I believe this was mention in LyncConf 2013 or 2014, however whilst I have read some post on this topic, I have yet to see anything concrete from MS.

Unfortunately, we are not privy to MS NDAs (but then, of course, I wouldn't be able to post on here).

The last method you mention is something similar to the way Imagicle's SkystoneVideo works. We didn't have much joy with it when we test it, but this was a few years ago.

Well, in the last presentation I saw 2 -3 weeks ago, they did mention they were looking at supporting standard based system some time in the future (read "maybe 2016")  - but as one of my colleagues said; "I believe that when I see it". Call me a cynic, but, yeah, I too will only believe that one when I see it.

/jens

Please rate replies and mark questions) as "answered" if applicable.

Thanks Jens for this. Indeed the bits I have read (even though it was in reference to the 'Skype for Business' change), seemed to only refer back to the announcement made several years ago. I need to see if we can improve our relationship with MS in order that we can get a handle on what they are/will be doing.

Utopia is sometime away then......

Hi, 

I came to a requirement like the last method you describe above. so if we install skype in a laptop and make it as the presentation source, can we use the SX 20 camera for the video..

Thanks,

Aneesh

It's not possible to use the SX20 camera out of the box as a USB web camera, you'll need some third-party hardware to take the HDMI input and make it appear as a USB device.