cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dual VCS-C/VCS-E

Dan Klanderman
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer who has deployed a VCS-C/VCS-E in one location and have now acquired a second pair for redundancy which will not be co-located.  The round-trip time between the two locations is greater than the alotted time for clustering.   Effectively they are looking to have the new pair in their other location as a backup.  Endpints all register to the C and just use the E for B2B.  Would appreciate any recommendations pros/cons on deployment. 

4 Replies 4

The VCS-E's should be OK - configure them with the same settings, zones and search rules etc.  On your VCS-C's, add the second VCS-E's IP in the zone profile.  Register a public SRV record that includes the second  VCS-E for inbound URI dialling.

Not sure about the VCS-C's however as if they aren't clustered, each VCS-C would not be aware of the other VCS-C's registrations.  You could probably do it with some fancy search rules but it wouldn't be pretty.

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If the delay is to big you should not cluster them.

But it should not be a problem to run independent VCS with apropirate search rules and srv records.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

I have a query on this just as speculation - how would you get the client to fai over to VCS-C 2 if the normal VCS-C 1 fails without clustering? Would this be through using waited records in DNS or some other means?

You could have endpoint failover through SRV/DNS records, or for SIP endpoints you can put in multiple proxies (I think this is the preffered method).

With your search rules, I imagine you would need to use something like the following on both VCS's:

First rule: match local dialling rules, limit the source zone to the other VCS, target local zone, stop (this is to prevent searches bouncing between the VCS's endlessly)

Second rule: match local dialling rules, any source, target local zone, continue

Third rule: match local dialling rules, any source, target other VCS, stop